Help with barre chords

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by nebuchadnezzar, Aug 6, 2004.

1. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

I have been practising barre chords for a few months now...while i now manage to change barre chords swiftly for songs...my thumb starts to hurt like hell after a few minutes of continuous playing..especially for songs with fast chord changes...i think it has to do with the position of my thumb...plzzz help wit this prob!!!

2. rajscorps

rajscorps Kaput

This is actually a common problem. However, unless one actually sees you playing the guitar it is difficult to identify the areas causing the trouble.

Even then, I'd hazard the guess that you are applying too much physical tension. Tension translates into gripping the neck of the guitar with more force than necessary. You are 'flexing' your weak muscles that way and forcing them to work harder than they can. It is a fallacy that you need to apply a lot of pressure with your fretting hand. This fatigues your muscles and tires you down. Take it slowly and observe any signs of tension building up. This could hold true for your entire fretting hand, not just the Thumb.

Raj

3. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

Avoiding the aching thumb

Here is some advice I found for aching thumbs, maybe you will find it helpful too:

Practise by just taking your thumb off the guitar. If your thumb hurts, it means you are putting too much pressure on your thumb and not enough pressure on your fretting fingers. Practise playing chords by removing your left-thumb from the guitar - this will force you to hammer harder on the frets with your other fingers. Also practise playing melodies in this technique. Soon you will find that you can play the same chords while putting less pressure on your thumb than you do now. Try not to push too hard on the guitar with your thumb.

(This advice was originally posted by Charles Gacsi on www.wholenote.com)

4. prash_rocks

prash_rocks Over the Hills & Far Away

5. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

rite prash.

6. Sonali

Sonali ::>> Welcome <<::

Oh prash is always right :nw:

7. jayanth

jayanth &lt;.: : Call Quits : :.&gt;

You got to keep changes slow and steady.. Steady is the keyword.. Slow or not.. You change chords to your pace you will develop smoothness and speed..

8. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

thnx for all the advice guyz....i think i can solve my prob now....
    wanted to post earlier.. but am busy in campus recruitment and my final year project..

9. jayanth

jayanth &lt;.: : Call Quits : :.&gt;

You're always welcome...