Help wid Marshall Amp

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by max_ache, May 18, 2012.

1. Vader

Vader New Member

lol
    how can i correct you about something i dont know !!!!
    yeh i knew the first part :)
    but umm
    but why would boss give a usb interface if they dont have amp models?(also i think they have something called COSM)
    also whats the diff between playing on a PA system and playing on a clean amp in terms of tone
    also cant you connect your amp to a PA? like it you were not using a processor and distortion through amp.. then amp to DI and DI to PA?

also what if i'm actually going for a setup which gives me better recording then what do you recommend?

2. Vader

Vader New Member

you guys still havent replied
    whats the difference..
    like would an amp model say - Fender Mustang

EDIT: so how would an amp model affect the guitar effect you use... doesnt the effect over ride the amp?

and are chorus, echo, overdrive, loop,delay all effects?

3. Vader

Vader New Member

...also
    1.where does a pre amp come into the picture then?
    2.where does the audio interface come into the picture and what is the difference between a sound card and an audio interface?
    3.is an audio interface/sound card needed if you have a processor with usb interface?

4. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

Audio interface is an external Sound card which amplifies the weak guitar signal..

1) So Guitar --> Audio Interface --> Software DAW on Computer to capture the guitar signal..

Now the Software that u use contains inbuilt effects that u can apply on the signal which comes into the PC from Audio interface..

2) Over here when we say AMP Modelling or processors like ME70 OR GT10 the chain would look something like that

Guitar --> ME70/GT10 --> Audio Interface --> Recording Software

So the processors will color ur signal with required effects and tones...

Amp Modelling:-
    Consider AMp models as duplicates of the Huge amplifiers that u get in the market..Basically within the proc these are stored in the form of 1's and 0's i.e. digital tone
    And these tones are actually created by micing the original amplifiers...So u kind of get really close to the original amplifiers tone...

So u dont need to actually buy a fender or a marshall JCM series amplifier...U get the tones in the proc...

Effects:-
    These are like individual effcects pedals that u buy...Same logic as above!!!

5. henrynh

henrynh New Member

The Boss GT series has amp+cab+mic modelling, the ME series only has preamp modelling. You cannot use the ME70 directly live, it will sound extremely fizzy & horrid. The amp modelling in both sounds like crap compared to Digitech(Audio DNA2 chip models), POD HD, Zoom G5 & Rocktron Utopia series. Boss amps models are good for two things, Cleans & Mid Gain/Breakup tones. For everything else, the other modelers sound far superior.

Between the GT & ME, the GT is the way to go when using with a real amp. The ME series has no external loop & so the FX cannot be divided between post & pre distortion. Then there is the obvious featue called ASSIGNS in the GT series that's well, very useful when playing live. The FX chain is also not fixed & freely movable. There are other things in it that come very handy for live performances, too much effort to list them all right now.

The FX in all these processors are good as long as you like digital effects, like digital chorus, delay, etc. but they don't sound like an analog effect even though they offer models of it, e.g. analog delay for instance. The best part is the setup time & overall control you get when using these, especially the GT units from Boss. The preamps can be made to sound good with EQ & Tone modify & stuff but it's too much work & it still sounds a distant second compared to the other modelers in it's price range for modern high gain tones. Through a power amp + cab these preamps sound better though.
    The usual standard effects are very good in the Boss units compared to other floor units, but for direct tones I'd rather have something else than COSM amp modeling.

Vader and (deleted member) like this.
  6. henrynh

henrynh New Member

If that's case then the cable is working, I would look into the input jack of the guitar to check if a solder connection has come loose. If that's not the case then a loose solder joint someplace else in the guitar wiring(tone pots or the selector switch). You should keep back up cables around anyways, get two while at it.

7. Vader

Vader New Member

thanks a ton

So guys plz tell me if i'm wrong in any of these scenarios esp the examples i give in the brackets
    1. For Recording
    Guitar ---> Processor with USB interface[gt10/me25/g5] ---> Computer sound card[Creative PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium] ---> DAW [protools/cubase]
    2. For Recording
    Guitar ---> Processor without USB interface[boss me70] ---> Audio Interface [M audio fast track] ---> Computer sound card [the creative one] ---> DAW [Protools/cubase]
    3. For Live
    Guitar ---> Processor with amp modelling[g5/gt10] ---> DI unit ---> PA system

one question though
    i saw a sound card
    M-AUDIO - Audiophile 192 - High-Definition 4-In/4-Out Audio Card with Digital I/O and MIDI
    but it doesnt have a usb input...
    so does that mean a require a special sound card for a usb input for a zoom g5 like processor?
    or it doesnt matter?

P.S.- I tried giving you reps but it says
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to mymusicmyguitar again.
    LOL :)

8. Vader

Vader New Member

Repped
    Great info!!!

what exactly do you mean by real amp?

also what is your take on the zoom g5?
    do you think its better than gt10 for home recording and live performances?

9. henrynh

henrynh New Member

I meant if you already have a really good quality amp, say e.g. Mesa Boogie Mark V. You can google 4 Cable Method & get more detailed info on the topic. Since this thread isn't exactly related to the subject & is getting derailed it would be better to start a new one for you unless the TS doesn't mind. I'm too lazy right now to explain the details of it too lol

The G5 isn't around here yet, I mean no one around me has one yet. The G3 was a big step forward for Zoom in the amp modeling area, I've tried that one & liked it alot but the DSP limit was a problem. The G5 doesn't have the severe limitations of the G3 & people online are finding it better sounding than the G3 due to the tube booster perhaps, can't say for myself without trying it out.

For live performances direct to FOH/Mixer/PA, the boss units aren't good if you play high gain stuff. The max it will do in high gain department is shred type 80's metal. The ones that are good here are Digitech RP1000 or GSP1101 wControl2, Pod HD 500/HD Pro with a midi footcontroller, Zoom G5/G3 & Utopia G300. The modeled amp tones from these are closer to the real amps they model. The most durable of these would be the Digitech stuff followed by the other three with the Utopia in the last spot. Rocktron might have improved their QC so these might be more roadworthy now then they were when first introduced. Not sure if the G5 has XLR outs, so it might need a DI box for using live.
    The above four will be the best options for recording direct as well. The Pod & Zoom allow you to alter the FX chain & stack up effects(e.g. 3 delays), the digitech & Utopia units have a fixed chain and only one instance of an effect. I think the POD is the only one of this bunch with Dual Amp chains but it's processor starts running low on memory ones you start using dual amps with multiple delays and reverb. The GSP1101 allows User cab IR's with the mustbebeta firmware update so that's a big plus for it & puts it above the rest in terms of amp modeling. The Utopia doesn't model other amps, it has its own 4-5 amps that go from clean to scorched(doom metal). The amp are supposedly borrowed from their Prophesy unit.
    The other option is the Tech 21 Character series pedals, they model one specific amp depending on what they are based on, but are expensive if you want more than one. They are the easiest however for on the fly tweaking.

Now if you already have an amp with an FX loop then I'd look into the GT10/GT100, Pod HD500/M13/HD Pro & RP1000/GSP1101 units(in that order). For better preamp models it's the digitech or Pod HD in this category. For flexibilty of FX routing & control its the GT & HD500. The most durable of the three is Boss, followed by Digitech & then L6 for road use IMO. For pitch shifting & looper functions it's the HD500 or Digitech.

I use my GT10 with my amps as a FX unit only & a control box for everything. I use Pod Farm for recording. You can try out S-Gear 2, it's got a free 15 day trial demo for download, small size, fully usable program that you might like for home recording. It needs an audio interface to work though.