Help wanted reducing unwanted noise

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by slayersid18, Aug 5, 2009.

1. slayersid18

slayersid18 New Member

My cable is a brand new warwick rock cable, no problem in it. The guitar makes an irritating buzzing noise when i plug it into my amp (Spider III 15W) Checked the amp by pluggin a keyboard no problem there also. Think somethings wrong wid my guitar (Givson Blue Diamond...lols i know thats terrible but cant afford anything for couple of months)

I opened up the jack-hole to plug the cable. It seems that one wire connected to the jack converter goes into the guitar (I guess thats output) and one end has NO WIRE CONNECTED (I guess thats grounding wire or something) but i can see solder (hmmmm) so i guess it snapped or something. But can't find the grounding wire anywhere in the jack-hole.

the guitar buzzes when i touch the metal bridge, the tuners even, the strings, etc...Its a real pain in the ass and i really am bugged want to fix it right away...any suggestions??

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Get a new guitar.

3. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

What about a setup job? Thought that could fix such stuff.

4. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Open the plate at the back, find the wire, reroute to the bridge/wherever it was grounded and resolder.

Or put a new wire in and do the same.

Or put a new guitar into the loop and do nothing further.

5. slayersid18

slayersid18 New Member

haha alpha1... that was really helpful. It was exactly what i told my gharwale, who gave a sharp reply that they weren't gonna pay for a new one. (not atleast till next June perhaps thats when i get an Avion Greg Bennet)

I need my guitar. I cant wait till june i'll go mad.

@thehundredthone-Thanks brother for the advice...will you just tell me which plate you're talking about? The one near the fretboard when you turn it upside down or the place where you plug the cable??

6. flood

flood New Member

if you could take and post a picture, i'd be glad to help you further. i find it hard to believe that your grounding wire vaporised into thin air though. also, the fact that you are getting hum when touching metallic parts on the guitar is testimony that you have a ground problem in your guitar's output. normally, the reverse should happen. seems like there is a ground present but the path resistance is too large, so it's actually going through the hot output and giving you a headache.

ideally, the wire going to the jack should be shielded wire, i.e. the output wire is covered by a braid of copper that connects to the output jack. please post a pic.

7. slayersid18

slayersid18 New Member

ok got it fixed there was no mesh to cover the output wire...the grounding is done by touching that end of the jack to this metallic powder they have stuck over the jack-hole...that grounds the entire guitar! unbelievably cheap production values but nevertheless my guitar is atleast going strong....thanx for all d help anyways!

8. flood

flood New Member

:shock:

being a medical device designer by education (if not profession), i think it is part of my duties to bludgeon the guy who built that with a nightstick.