|| HELP: Tone Issues! ||

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Anchit7, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Anchit7

Anchit7 Member

Hey guys....i wanted some help on a specific tone.......the solo of 'Bheegi Bheegi Si' (Na Jaane Koi).....Its sort of a distorted sitar........can anyone please tell me the prerequisites for such a tone......the combo of eq....or the set of pedals required (Delay,Distortion,OD.....nd so on)....Cheers....

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

3. wylder

wylder Member

I haven't listened to the particular song that you are speaking of but a friend of mine used to play some Indian classical (Carnatic) music on his guitar. His tone was very sitar like.

I remember that he used to use thin gauge strings on his Les Paul and tuned down atleast a whole step. The strings used to feel pretty flabby but he used a lot of heavy sliding (distinctly beautiful technique he had). I guess part of the trick is that when you pick a flabby string, the pitch bends initially like a sitar's attack. Also your slide and vibrato will be critical as Indian classical generally uses wide and slow vibrato as opposed to the more subtle vibrato in western music.

He also said he used some kind of a phaser/flanger, though I am not quite sure how. The effect was not distinctly audible (try less depth/effect mix, not like jet plane phase/flange).

Also, try tuning the guitar so that you have open strings in the root and 5th of the key you are playing. Another thing that could help may be a very subtle mix of an +1 or +2 octave up effect if you have a pitch shifter.

4. varunmm4

varunmm4 New Member

try subtle vibe

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Wylder, spot on.
    How could I forget this - another key to get sitar like sound is to reduce tension as much as you can (flabby strings).
    This is possible only when you have really light gauge strings.

6. Anchit7

Anchit7 Member

Thanks a lot for d suggestions guys.....@wylder...i tried your method....nd i was able to get the guitar tone........but only in the non-distorted form............when i apply distortion...the tone goes out of control......as if a detuned guitar.......any suggestions??

7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

You keep very mild overdrive for sitar sound.
    There are already a lot of overtones in a string with less tension.

8. Anchit7

Anchit7 Member

thnx a lot alpha1 :D