Help this noob pick out a guitar..

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by manujosephv, Mar 12, 2009.

1. manujosephv

manujosephv New Member

I'm a newbie and just started studying guitar. Been about two three weeks. I was thinking of buying a decent guitar for not more that Rs 3500. I did a little online research( most of it was here in this forum :)) and compiled a short list of guitars that can be get for 3500 +/- a few hundreds. The prices I got from an online shop "Raj Musicals"
    https://rajmusicals.in/index.php?cPath=33_34

gb&a Guitar - SAG 100

gb&a Guitar - SAG 110C Dreadnought

Givson Guitar - Venus Special (Semi Electric)

Granada Guitar PRS 1

Pluto Guitar - HW41C

Which of these should I buy?. or is there some other good guitars out there in this price range?.. Please help me.

2. angel_of_sin

angel_of_sin bassist.....

srry...n))bs arent supposed to play guitars.......its bad luck..........

3. detritus

detritus New Member

It honestly does not matter if you're just starting out. Your main concern would seeing which guitar has strings you are most comfortable pressing, as some can be a bit too hard for beginners.

4. manujosephv

manujosephv New Member

I know this might sound so stupid.. but I dont know much about guitars.. Does the strings being soft has any relation to the cost of the guitar?.. Or to the quality of the guitar?..

and I asked abt the brand cause from reading this forum I got the idea that some branded guitars has a higher probability of turning out a good guitar than the others. So i just wanted to get the best within my budget.

5. sam#3

sam#3 The Lucifer

GB&A n pluto r gud options... Dont go fr givsons or granada... U can chk out a few lesser known brands too, just take someone wid u who knows a bit of guitar...
    N all the strings r metal, nothing softer ;p
    their make changes the quality of sound...
    mostly the stock strings in guitars of this range wont be dat gud... Aftr playing fr a while u can change them to D'addarios or ernie ball... Just keep in mind wt gauge u use... dont go fr very thicker ones, they sound very sweet but can cause a bend, ur guitar needs to b really strong fr holding dem... the best option, as i feel is D'addarios 10gauge... Change to them aftr playing fr a while!

6. alienroar

alienroar 6 string fanatic

GB&A is good option. i had played granada jumbos too which cost around 4k and r good. but many beginners find it difficult starting with jumbo as far i had seen.

Take smone with u to the shop who have good knowledge of guitar while buying. and buy the guitar with lower action(less distance from string to frets).. it will be easier to play and lot softer than higher action.

7. horsesmouth

horsesmouth Active Member

Can anybody explain why Hobner is'nt in the list....
    makes me feel sad 'bout ma own!
    Is it that bad?

8. manujosephv

manujosephv New Member

thanks a lot all you guys..
    my guitar instructor has agreed to go with me to the shop to help me pick out one..
    and i do agree that jumbo is hard for me to play.. I have tried it but it does not feel so comfortable..

to sum up..its GB&A or Pluto with a lower action .. I may buy one next week.. Thanks for all the help...I'll post here which one i end up buying..:)

9. alienroar

I had only seen hobners in shop.. never seen any one actually using it.. at least not any ppl i know (that mean around 20-25 guitarists from my city).

10. detritus

detritus New Member

My sister had a hobner, neck got twisted out of shape.. And what i meant by hard was the action of the strings. How difficult the guitar is to fret, is probably your only concern. Otherwise any gb&a guitar should do. Oh make sure your guitar has two strap buttons if you want to play standing up. gb&a kinda screws you over on that.

11. alienroar

^^ thats true.. GB&A saves money on 1 peg.. lol its cheap.

12. angel_of_sin

angel_of_sin bassist.....

^^ u can get another peg fitted in for you.....da shopkeeper does it for free if u knw him well enough........

13. sam#3

sam#3 The Lucifer

Hobner is a copy of hobmer, which is a copy of hovner, which is a copy of hofner.... and ultimately, all are copies of hohner!!!
    Or sumthing lyk dat!

14. manujosephv

manujosephv New Member

Thanks a lot for all the support guys..I ended up buying a GB&A for Rs.3000 with bag, strings and plectrums thrown in.. I hope it was a good deal..:)

15. horsesmouth

horsesmouth Active Member

i wanna replace ma own hobmer.....its quite an irritating piece...lots of resonance...
    i mean wtf happened to Palm muting...there's no fu*kin way to do that in my axe..

16. jithin.sarath

jithin.sarath New Member

Followup :)

HI there..
    How is your guitar doing. I plan to buy a Gb&A myself.. so I wanted a feedback.. which model did you buy?

--Jithin

17. krypt21g

krypt21g New Member

And where did u buy it from ? Shop name and city would really help.