Help Selecting Gear!

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by h311b0y, Nov 14, 2008.

1. romancerig

romancerig Banned

So now u know ur sound.
    its a messy job to install hums on the strat later.
    best of luk man!

2. h311b0y

h311b0y New Member

Thanks a lot for all the help! I'll be back again when I get the guitar! I'm getting the Amp and effects here!

That reminds me...Is there any Amp worth getting imported that's under $100?

3. D_minor7

D_minor7 New Member

Calm down...

Ur getting too excited....lol!! maybe that happens if ur buying ur first gear....get a line6 floor pod or floor pod plus if u can....they are worth every penny...or if u want something cheaper...go for digitech..rp 90. or rp 250.comes with a drum machine too..and good amp modelling...cheers...and there are some solid state amps worth importing check peavey vyper in ur budget...but i would say..bunk it...it would be a pain for ur friend to carry with the guitar...

4. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

Its very odd that you didnt hear a diff. The humbucker sound is clearly distinguisable.

Your choice should depend on the kind of siound you wish to achive. If you are looking to play metal or hard rock a single coild would sound pretty weak. Humbuckers usually give you more bite which helps when you are playing palm muted riffs.
    Single coil gives you a more warmer tone which is better for blues or classic rock or more cleaner funk styles etc.

5. romancerig

romancerig Banned

EXactly!
    Tats why Get a superstrat(HSS).far more versatile than the 3 single pups strat.

6. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Probably he is looking out for Blues and Rock tone?

7. h311b0y

h311b0y New Member

I tried the HSS. After playing around with it for a while, I started missing the single coil. I like the sound better. I'm not into metal. I prefer the classic rock type. The SSS sounds perfect for that (considering it's what most of my rock idols use themselves!).

I also realized that if I have an effects pedal being used, there is very little difference in the sounds. At least my untrained ear couldn't make out much...

I've decided on the SSS! I will be buying the Amp and Effects here in India.

I asked around in Hyderabad, and the shops here really suck. I thought of getting a Zoom 606, but the shops here don't seem to have them. The only one I could find in my budget was a DigiTech RP80, which is supposed to really suck (And it's a bass processor) for Rs.5400. There was also an RP90, but that was for Rs. 7900. Way too high for my liking.

Since I'm getting an effects pedal, I will probably go with an Amp without effects. Maybe a Kustom?

Help would be appreciated! I'm also looking out for anyone selling second hand multi-effects pedals.

8. romancerig

romancerig Banned

Rp80 is a decent fxpro,bt its now discontinued neway.u can order rp90 frm bajaao.com,its cheap there.
    Kustom amps....hmm.c wat others have to say.

9. vicks_virgo

vicks_virgo New Member

Hi folks,
    Just checked and found RP90 is not available with bajaao.com. Anyways, in Delhi RP90 costs around Rs. 7,000. BTW h311b0y you can also go for stranger amps.

10. h311b0y

h311b0y New Member

The shop owner here suggested that. He suggested I go with a good effects pedal and a no-nonsense amp with less features. I figure I can always upgrade my Amp later on. I think I will go with a Zoom G2 and a Local expression pedal (saves me 3.5k from the G2.1U. I'm getting G2 for 6k and the pedal for Rs. 500-1000 :p). I'll also probably end up going for a stranger amp along with it. This should cover my 10k budget for Amp and Effects...

And about the SSS strat...NICE TWANG! I love it!

11. romancerig

romancerig Banned

If u r looking for a plain jane amp then kustom (20-30w) is a gud option.IMO kustoms r way better than strangers.

12. angel_of_sin

angel_of_sin bassist.....

i use xactly dat kinda stuff too...a G2 wid an expression pedal of local make and a stranger 80 watt amp............

13. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!