help reqd: proper way to use amp in live shows ...

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by paranoid13rohan, Jun 10, 2007.

1. paranoid13rohan

paranoid13rohan .: iNDiaN iDioT 3.0 :.

in all the past cases where i've performed live, i've given a direct line-out from my amp.
    but for quite some time i've been noticing that many guitarists use a mic in front of the amp and give the line-out from the mic and not from the amp.
    can someome please explain me the significance of the latter?
    and which is the proper way to use amp in live shows ~ direct line out or mic the amp?
    will be waiting for your replies ...

2. anshammer

anshammer MR. - 2 - MINZ

hmmmmmm...........i guesssssss.....dat depends.. on the kind of amp u using.......if ure amp is...powerfull enuff...den ders no need of ..a mic output.....
    but...... 4 lager.showz...in order..2 make da sound audible.2 da far crowd..sometimes..people..use a mic..2 further amplify the sound...coming 4m da guitar amp......but..it may..hamper.da sound quality.......

...i hope am ryt...leds see.wot..otherz have 2 say...

take care..!!

3. saurabhrocks

saurabhrocks New Member

i think they must be doing it when they r out of cables!!!

why wud someone put a mic infront of amps... strange...

4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^ BEcause THAT is the way to do it.

Paranoid, the thing is that, guitar tone sound best out FROM a guitar amp.
    And not from line-out.

When you put mic infront of amp/cabinet, you are capturing the tone of amp + speaker + cabinet.

When you put use direct line-out you are using only the pre-amp, you will get a tone that is not a replica of what you hear. Plus it will usually sound harsh and scratchy.

5. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

Its not strange its very common..

6. paranoid13rohan

@ ansh & saurabh ~ i don't think u got my question.

@ alpha ~ i don't give a direct line-out from my pre-amp ... i use an amp and give the output of the amp as the input to the sound guys (i hope u understand).
    and as you said - guitar tone sound best out FROM a guitar amp.
    so what role does the mic play in this whole thing ???
    off-course it doesn't enrich the tone + there might be additional disturbances too ...

7. thehundredthone

thehundredthone New Member

Ummm, the output of the amp is through the speakers. So the only way to give that to the sound guys is through a mic. The line-out bypasses the speakers so you won't get the frequency cut-offs of the speaker or the resonance of the cabinet. Hence a mic is required to reproduce the amp's "real" sound, so to say.

Of course mics are not perfect, but that's why you use good ones.

8. anshammer

anshammer MR. - 2 - MINZ

ooops.... am sorrie.. :|

9. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

There's the answer.

Microphone's role is to capture the exact tone coming from the stack and direct it to the mixer, so that it can be played over the PA system.

There is simply no other way to do that.

And Oh please dont think that mic's dont reproduce the tones very well, based on the cheapies we get in India :p:.
    The mics used in studios and pro-concerts are so good that most of the time you wont be able to make out if there is any microphone invovled in the circuit.

paranoid13rohan likes this.
  10. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

err...people are quite strange around here.

first of all, a miced amp gives the tonal characteristics abd dynamics of the speakers and the amp reacting with it...so u get the best tones from micd amps..oh and alpha1, my friend, most sound guys do have Shure SM58s(which is pretty much the standard used all over the world for micing amps), its just that they dont use them since anybody's hardly aware of it and since its easier to take a lineout. taking a line out from the amp is the dumbest thing to do actually(tonewise), although the solid state crap present here isnt exactly known for their speakers, but its definitely better than the lineout option.

and please dont try putting ur vocal mic in front of the amps, u'll get very ***y feedback since those are not meant for micing amps.
    Shure SM57s, SM58s(better version) are the most popular although AKG C1000S is also used sometimes.

11. saurabhrocks

saurabhrocks New Member

okie i got it, the job of the mic ids to recreate the whole efect created by the amp, since the line output maynot be powerful enough,
    now everything goes here by what u observe practicaly

not much of reasoning can be explained, but if anyone has doubts they shud try it themselves, so don't get confused,

practically the mic thing must be sounding gud, u may not be able to understand it theoritically

12. thehundredthone

thehundredthone New Member

^ A whole load of WTF?

No. The line output is powerful enough. But the speaker and cabinet are what give the amp it's final tonal characteristics.

A mic can't sound good. Basically it should be able to capture the required frequencies efficiently.

13. paranoid13rohan

@ alpha, raj & 100 ...thanx for all those infos. :nw:

1 more question ~ does it help in controlling the feedback better ??? :think:

thehundredthone likes this.
  14. Double Click

Double Click New Member

Please go away.... Or at least stop posting on topics u know nothing of.

When u take ur output from the Line out, U are essentially getting o/p from a circuit designed to emulate the response of the speaker and cabinet.
    In most cases, the line out on the amps is nowhere near as good as the real o/p from the amp and speaker.
    So, most guitarists mic the amp and then send the signal to the mixer. If done properly, this setup sounds kickass.
    This doesn't require a very powerful amp.. U can even mic a 15w amp or a huge full stack.. Doesnt really matter since the volume is gonna come from the PA.
    This has no effect on feedback if done properly (not that I know of)

15. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

actually it will help in getting better feedback..theoretically and also from experience..but for that your amp has to be near u ofcourse...because when u bypass the amp speaker, there wont be any feedback due to any field generation between the speaker and the guitar, although this can be obtained from the monitors(which isnt that good)..but if u go near your amp it'll go *@&^*&^#*&^*#&^##*&^#^&%&@
    if u watch live videos of performances in big stages u can see guitarists going up to their cabinets to get feedback.

and if u use digital processors u get the worst, ball-less feedback..so in case u do use a multi fx ur feedback will sound like paris hilton fondling her chihuahua irrespective of how u use the amp

16. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

oh and @saurabhrawks: id take double click's advice if i were u

17. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

WHO made him a MOD....
    on the topic, i would say buy 10 marshall stacks and make a wall out of them.. they should do pretty well on a stage show.. no need of a mic and a line out.. cheers :beer:

18. paranoid13rohan

^ i shall do that when i get to play at g3. :RollLol:

as of now, i mainly play at college fests and am not even sure if the sound guys there even have the shure or akg stuffs that raj mentioned.

19. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

as surprising as it may seem, they probably do...what you can do is, when u go for soundcheck(i hope u get a soundcheck atleast for a gig) ask the guy to mic up your amp.

but what do u use - analog pedals or multi-fx?

20. paranoid13rohan

^ zoom g2.1u ~ multi-fx (i guess)