Help Reqd : How to sustain a note on an electric guitar

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by vipin_slash, Aug 12, 2005.

1. vipin_slash

vipin_slash New Member

Hello Guys,
    Can someone tell me how to sustain a note on an electric guitar
    for longer time (as much one can).Does it involve any specific setting
    of Amp. or only the playing tech. can do it. Pls let me know any
    website for a demo vdo.
    Regards
    Vipin

2. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

this works for me:
    1. the amp gain should be high
    2. the amp volume should be high (but if u keep very high then the guitar will start squeeling)
    3. if u have WAh pedal then certain settings emphasise the feedback
    4. positioning in front of the speaker also affects

i havent tried but ronnie says that if u put a compressor infront of distortion it leads to humdinger sustain ...

3. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

yes it does.... some ppl manage infinite sustain bycreating a setting in which theres feedback..

4. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

1)raising the action of your guitar increases sustain..coz the string is allowed to move more freely.
    2)gain does help.
    3)the neck pick up also usually sustains a lot more than the bridge pick up.

5. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

i can sustain my notes at all!even if i have kept compression to 15!it only goes up till 10 sec or so.no matter how hard or loose i hold them no matter on which pickup i play its the same result!pls... gimme an efficient solution!

6. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

come closer to the speaker while playing ;)

7. shak

shak Harrr!

10 seconds and you are complaining!!!!
    damn you need some serious counselling ... na kiddin ..
    ok if you really wanna go hardcore do this ...
    get echo pedal ... set reflection to about 10ms ... get a delay ... adjust it so it comes in syunc with echo but out of phase ..
    get a thick mahagony based guitar ... losen the string and hit the note .... 30-40 seconds of sweet continous twang ....
    yeah dont forget to set the gain high ...

8. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

well .. i own a GIVSON and 2 increase the sustain , the TONE nob shud be at 10 ( max)
    dunno bout other guitars

1) INCREASE GAIN or buy a GAIN PEDAL !
    2) BUY BETTER STRINGZ , earlier i used 2 play with da LOCAL GIVSON 1's then i changed it 2 ERNIE BALL SLINKY's they sustained more

u dont get em in INDIA , try ROTOSOUND PINKZ their as GUD ( rs 400 for da whole pack , with an extra low E string ) !!

3) i heard it matters on da WOOD of da guitar 2 , dunno which 1's da best 4 sustain maybe MAHAGONY !

4)a thinner guitar is going to have less sustain than a larger guitar ( SIZE)