Help regarding pinky finger

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by TJ - Jigz, Aug 23, 2004.

1. TJ - Jigz

TJ - Jigz New Member

Whenever i use my pinky finger my third finger sticks to it. i can move my pinky finger without moving my third finger both of them stick like glue. tried many variations like 1234, 1235 but nothing seems to help. Can anyone please help me with this

2. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

See this may be phsycological.. Or its cool.. cause if your pinky moves with the ring finger it good. Generally they tend to stay away.. The best way to solve your problem is to Force your little finger to play.. And massage your hand often..

3. TJ - Jigz

TJ - Jigz New Member

Thanks for replying Jayanth...but the problem was not that the pinky moves with the ring it was that the ring moves with the pinky (sorry my mistake wrote "i can")...i guess u'll be having some suggesstions for that too....and how do u massage your hand, never heard of that before

4. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

U can use some practice techniqeus to open up those two fingers as well... Basically any riff that uses both ur ring, pinky finger alongwith any other say, index when played fast enough should be ok. For eg...

This exercise builds up finger partnerships and can be done with virtually any combination of fingers...

This builds up your index-ring partnership.

-5h7p5h7p5h7p5h7p5/7h9p7h9p7h9p7h9----
    --------------------------------------------
    Try playing this for 2 minutes. At first, most guitarists (beginners or intermediates) can only play this for 20-30 seconds... But with practice you can increase the time.

This builds up your index-pinky partnership.

-5h8p5h8p5h8p5h8p5/7h10p7h10p7h10p7h10-

This builds up your ring-pinky partnership.

-5h6p5h6p5h6p5h6p5/8h9p8h9p8h9p8h9p----

Anyway, there are no real authentic way of building up your pinky finger's strength because originally this finger was not supposed to be used for guitar playing. With the introduction of blues and rock did guitarists begin to use this finger and hence, there's only about a few decades history of using the pinky finger...

Its only by observation (for me) and experience that you can determine ways to make your little finger strong.

One important thing you must know is never to change the actual finger positions which you are supposed to use to something you are more comfortable with at first because then you'll never learn the real way. Keep on trying till you get it.

5. jayanth

I suggest you use i lot of will power.. And Force..

6. TJ - Jigz

TJ - Jigz New Member

@ esgallindeion: thanks a hundred acoustics buddy i really am gonna try it out hope that it would work for me
    @ Jayanth: Thanks for the suggestion pal..have great passion for guitars from the very biggening so everything gets to it

7. jayanth

You are welcome..

8. esgallindeion

Ya... To add another word of advice... you may not get much sound from those exercises at first without distortion.

9. jayanth

You need to get hold of Paul Girlbert Instruction video.. THat will get your pinky working..

10. TJ - Jigz

TJ - Jigz New Member

OK Paul Gilbert instruction video....i am gonna find it out now and know what my pinky finger has improved a lot since the past few days and now both the fingers have some distance between them while playing....did a lot of excersise that esgallindeion provided with and now i can easily go down one fret with my pinky and am trying to go down two frets but really hurts...am gonna keep up trying

11. jayanth

Try another thing.. Keep a small piece of cotton to seperate while playing.. May feel little uncomfy but its ok..

12. esgallindeion

Cotton? I have never heard of this practice. How does it help?

13. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

cotton? jay, r ur exams near buddy? ;)

14. jayanth

Its spaces up the Fingers.. try it.. No exams till Feb why are you reminding me. I just happend to start college..