help:Problem with F scale in D shape.E.g Kal ho na ho song

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by KShan, Oct 6, 2007.

1. KShan

KShan New Member

Salut Guitarist,

Context : I play this song Kal ho na ho, title song, on F major key. the F scale i follow is D shaped which starts from 3rd Fret 4th string(D).

heres is scale:
    String | frets
    6 | 3 5 7
    5 | 3 5
    4 | 2 3 5 (3rd fret 4th string is the key of F)
    3 | 2 3 5
    2 | 3 5 7 (6th fret 2nd string is another F key,1 octave higher)
    1 | 3 5 7

Problem : In the title line of the song which says "kal HO na ho", when first "HO" is played, it goes out of the scale. Its only that particular note. It falls on the 5nd string 6th fret, which is not a part of the scale.

Question : Is it possible in a song to have a note which is out of a scale ? If yes, there are there any rules when using some out of the scale notes?

I hope i made my query as clear as popssible. Kindly help me clarify this.

Cheers!!

Shan

2. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

Almost all songs go out of scale at some point, there are no set rules for this...

3. KShan

KShan New Member

Why scales then

hmm.... well i don't understand that if thats the case then why do we use scales at all. If the notes can be out of scale then what good are scales for.
    I do understand the fact that at the end, its music not scale or notes i.e. what is liked by your ear...

4. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

Its those out of tune note that make a piece music edgy....otherwise it would be boring

5. metalhead

metalhead New Member

I am sick of people trying to learn songs but knowing nothing about technique and theory. Actually sometimes it freaks me out when people ask me to play songs while i am trying to learn some scale or technique. bah! nevermind.

6. jazzbox

jazzbox His X Ln C 1000CC

well my dear some songs are composed out of scale

like " tere bin" Atif Aslam

there is no rule for it