help: power chords

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by scorpio_bharat, Dec 10, 2005.

1. scorpio_bharat

scorpio_bharat Ending The Start

aarre yaar koi power chords bajana samjha do yar plz.. say for xample (x466xx) .. :help:

2. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

straight forward...index finger plays 4rt fret 5th string......pinkie plays 6th fret 3rd and 4rt string

3. scorpio_bharat

arrre woh to mujhe bhi pata hai yaar .......but (x466xx) ismein yeh 3 strings hee bajani hoti hai kya .. we dont hav to play the rest of the strings ..? :think:

4. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

no
    no other strings

5. faiqrock

faiqrock XaiQ

xample..x466xx and x244xx

e|-x----x------------|
    b|-x----x------------|
    g|-6----4------------|
    d|-6----4------------|
    a|-4----2-----------|
    e|-x----x------------|

X means the Stings are Silent..

ny thing more???u wana learn

6. vini

vini Repeat Offender

In case ur still confused;

0 means play that string open
    X means dont play that string

7. scorpio_bharat

thanx buddies .. but i think when i strumm these strings it dosent sound good .. i think need to do some practice .. :aggre:

8. Evo Guy 911

Evo Guy 911 Banned

dude it is actually the scale tht helps u understand. I am not going into the details yet, but it is simple like that. Power chords which are you talking abt lie in the low E string (thickest one). If u play any fret on the E, lets say 2nd, then u play 4th on A & D string. Generally, U play one fret on the E, and on the next two strings, u skip 2 frets and then play them. It must be strummed while the other 3 strings muct be silent. E chord is a good example of power chords. U see, there it is (022000) but if u silent the other 3, it goes (022xxx) and it is a power chord. (133xxx), (244xxx) (355xxx), they are all power chords. Give it a try, and tell me if it sounded good. May be i will deliver a lecture abt scales & power chords here soon. See ya.

9. vishwa_81us

vishwa_81us Banned

Hey guys can anyone post a tutorial for power chords.. lot many ppl r asking me.. but i too don't know much abt that...

10. cyclonetrap

cyclonetrap New Member

Well Power choard are really one of the easiest chords to play . U just need to practice

Each power chord is :-

1) The Root Note
    2) The 5th Note (of the scale)
    3) 8th (octave note) if required

Here is an example :-

Eminor scale is : E F# G A B C D E

Root Note is : E
    5th Note is : B
    8th ocatve note is : E

So considering the Standard E A D G B E tuning to play the E power Chord

E|-------------|
    B|-------------|
    G|-------------|
    D|--2---------| E
    A|--2---------| B
    E|--0---------| E

Its very easy once you get the hang of it . Hope what ive told you above helped .

11. scorpio_bharat

thanx guys evo and ashish .. kuch to samajh mein aya .. but actually my main problem is strumming of the strings ... and for that i guess i need to practice ... but u guys definately helped me out .. THANX!!! :nw:

12. Evo Guy 911

Evo Guy 911 Banned

no problem dude. we're here to help. And as far as i can understand ur strumming problem, it is that u only have to strum those strings which have the power notes, i.e., the first three strings. You dont strum the other 3 strings. And if u mean that u cannot strum properly, so for that matter i have only one word 4 u. PRACTICE... with rhythm. thats very important. Keep ur rhythm slow in the beginning, but continuous. If you distort a note, dont break the rhythm. Keep it going. People improve their fretting hand, but dont work on their picking. Its gonna cause problems in the long run. Get hold of a metronome if u can and use it. Peace

13. cyclonetrap

cyclonetrap New Member

hey guys ... someone tld about a posting a tutorial on Power Chords ... shd i do it ??

14. Evo Guy 911

Evo Guy 911 Banned

if u can then why did u even bother to ask? Put it in. I am working on it. Will be here in a couple of days

15. cyclonetrap

cyclonetrap New Member

ive posted a basic Power Chord tut ! Chek out and tell me if you want smting else added there .