Help: Plectrum Slipping problem

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by vipin_slash, Jul 5, 2005.

1. vipin_slash

vipin_slash New Member

That was an occasional problem.widr picks have eliminated it totally.
    The Thread was getting longer...with some good and bad comments
    Hence removing the original message.I am observing few guys are Joe Satriani here.

2. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

get a plectrum with a grip....mebbe Dunlop Nylons....they come with a grip, so do stubbies...
    or what u can do is scratch the surface where the fingers come....or mebbe drill hole in that region

3. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

while playin just forget bout da pic
    worked 4 ME

4. vini

vini Repeat Offender

lol..alfons! nice tip well..i rarely use my plectrum i prefer strummin with my nail/s..they dont slip and no gripping problem :grin: daaktur gave u a nice tip..if u dont wanna buy.. scratch the plectrum u have now wid sandpaper..it wont look good anymore but then who cares as long as guitar sounds good ..no? heh :)

tahda!!

5. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

or just look at how ur holding the pick in the first place - un less ur doing some crazy strumming - the opick shouldnt slip -

lets work on the grip in the first place:

hold ur pciknig hand out stringht - turn it so that when u look from up u can only see the top finger (as in the palm should be perepndicular to the ground). now fold ur index finger inwards - first to a right angle. then pull it in slightly more from the second (the one near the nail) joint (itll end a bit also from the first joint - thats ok). now the put the pick on the second jiont slightly towards the first joint. now hold the pick down with ur thumb. press it with a decent amount of pressure. get comfortable piking in this style - this is the way the diagram in melbay's guitar books describe holding a pick - and trust me - melbays are good books - this way the pcik wont slip out - it mgiht at first - ut eventualyl ull get it right.

best of lcuk - let me know how this goes. - if u need the diagrams - go have a look at the first page of melbays guitar method grade 1. (yes after playing for so long - im going back to the absics coz i dont know standard notation).

6. vipin_slash

vipin_slash New Member

Hello Again,
    I wud like to mention one change in my guitar strings.They are not as
    smooth and shiny as 3 months before.I feel more friction between the
    Pick and strings while playing now.Earlier I din had so much slipping
    problem.Is it time to get new set of strings.
    Regards

7. vini

vini Repeat Offender

oh yes!! i know some people who change their strings even in 2-3 weeks..it depends..but on an average:monthly u must change the strings..acc. 2 me :)

tahda!!

8. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

the slipping isnt relatd to the strings..........

9. taxyse

taxyse t3h.

yeah...must be something wrong with how u hold ur pic.....like deathdr mentioned......try
    guitar.about.com (..yeah yeah..i recommend that one to everybody)...i think its in the first lesson itself...'how to hold a pik'....it has a picture..see and correct urselves if u are wrong

other wise ..its just a case of 'lack of practise'.....

10. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

The plectrum slipping used to happen with every beginner. Just forget about that and keep proceeding. With time you will get a better grip. I got over this problem by holding the pick a different way than the traditional way. It worked me. I can pick slow, fast, soft, hard, do pinches and whatever with my hold. The traditional approach dont work for me. So you could experiment and figure out which is more convenient for you. If you are a total beginner then ask a guitar playing buddy or a teacher and copy how he holds the pick or even figure out how your favourite artist holds the pick. Picks with grip or no grip dont make much difference.

11. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

lol I can't believe people here need help holding picks....Hilarious.

12. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

@DMF. That's not funny man. All of went through that stage some point of time. Now with what he have learned we could help a lot of beginners who face difficulties in these things.

13. Bandbaaja

Bandbaaja Pronounced Band Baaaa Ja

SAURABH is right

Use the JIM DUNLOP NYLON picks
    I ONLY USE THOSE

They have a rough grip and are also long lasting
    In some weeks because of sweat and dirt the rough grip area gets dirty, you need to clean it with mild soap and an old toothbrush

They are available at FURTADO's (Mumbai) Rs. 16/-

Another tip - Use a thinner pick when you want to do some rigourous strumming
    That way you shift the majority of the FORCE to the pick instead of your hand

14. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

Nope. It IS goddamn funny. I had never to ask someone how to HOLD a pick. Please...some people are just stupid. I rest my case.

15. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

@dmf - leave hm alone...

i use the tortex 1.14 mm - i tihnk - the pruple ones....

go through some books - theyll give u some advice...