help needed urgent

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by petermasc, May 8, 2007.

1. petermasc

petermasc New Member

big problem...i got duped....the bloody pickup i installed is not an f-spaced one...the pole pieces did not line up with the strings....i used a ruler and confirmed my suspicions....its only 48mm between extreme pole pieces....i have asked for a replacement......i did not bother to check because the box said f-spaced.....now i have to remove and install em again....damn..have i got some rotten luck...and laney did u adjust the truss rod on ur ibannez?how did u do it? the bloody thing won't budge on my guitar...

2. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

dont try it without reading a looot about it. Just google, and check out some tutorial videos. As for the f-spacing, is it THAT big of a deal? Im pretty sure the pickup u had on your guitar (stock) wasnt f-spaced(or was it) . Did you pay for f-spaced?

3. Nouman011

Nouman011 New Member

I think they cost the same. It really isn't so much of a big deal. But i'm sure there might have been some advantages with an F-spaced pup. In any case, its always better get what you asked for.

4. petermasc

petermasc New Member

oh yeah i did order an f spaced one....now because the pup is not f-spaced the strings sit outside the extreme pole pieces...as a result of which the vol of high & low e strings are lower compared to the others...the stock pup is f-spaced....i measured to make sure...and laney i think ur INFS are f spaced too measure and check em.

5. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

ill check and let you know...i asked around other forums and ppl say its alright...

6. petermasc

petermasc New Member

u mean there is no tonal difference between f spaced and non f spaced pups?is this just a marketing ploy or is alignment just for cosmetic purposes?
    heres a quote from the dimarzio FAQ
    How do I know which spacing to use?
    F-spaced pickups measure 2.01" (51 mm) center-to-center from the first polepiece to the sixth. Standard-spaced pickups measure 1.90" (48 mm). Although some players believe that F-spaced pickups are only for the bridge position of tremolo bridge guitars, many guitars with fixed bridges (including late 1990s Gibson Les Pauls and Epiphone LPs) should have F-spaced pickups in the bridge position. Most tremolo equipped guitars that have a nut width of 1-11/16” (43mm) or more should also use an F-spaced pickup in the neck position. If you’re replacing a bridge-position pickup and you're not sure what your string-spacing is, it's usually better to get an F-spaced model. It is not necessary for the strings to pass exactly over the center of the polepieces for best performance, but it is wise to avoid a situation where the E strings are sitting completely outside of the outer polepieces.

7. Nouman011

Nouman011 New Member

Infinities are F-spaced. Atleast the Bridge pickup is. Tonally there's no difference, it just covers the extreme strings better if ur into bending ur strings off the board.

8. yazi

yazi Banned

Well, atleast it clears one myth: F-spaced => Fender spaced

9. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

infinities suck so bad u wouldnt know the diff

10. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

^ Most stock pups do dontcha think?
    Givson stock pickups are the best. Probably hand wound too :p:

11. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

Fender,Gibson,Gretsch blah blah. Only Ibanez puts junk pickups i think. ESP puts some junk on their lower ends too but most 250 series come with HZs and Duncan Designed which are much better than the INFs if you ask me. But then again...Ibanez has the name to back up their nonsense....those D-Activators were such a let down :( . They should put a Nice Dimarzio Tone-Zone and Norton combo onto the Xiphor or whatever its ccalled...anyone played the 07 models yet>?

12. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

I'd say don't worry too much about the spacing. And if you are experiencing a significant drop in volume over the first and last strings, simply back off the pickup away from the strings till the volume difference isn't enough to bother you. Your strings may be too close right now.

13. petermasc

petermasc New Member

yeah i check on the jemsite forum.....the f spaced pups and non f spaced pups seem to have the same effect on floyd/edge guitars.....yup ibanez stock pups are 2nd rate ...my kramer pups beat em....well at least the bridge pu....the neck is a different story....i have snapped some pics of my gear wid a friends cell..will upload pics as soon as he mails me the pics....

14. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

i love those kramer quad rails. I just love kramers... :)

15. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

eeeewww! Most horrible sounding pickups I've ever played. And these kramers are nothing like what they used to be. Gibson is deliberately letting them wilt away to promote their overpriced les pauls

16. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

the quads arent that bad. Compared to infinities i.e. And yeah, kramers dont have a future anymore. One thing i need to do when i get a good job is find one of them OLD kramers.....Im a van halen whore

17. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

No really those quads are terrible. I prefer john perreira's Rs600 pickups to that crap on the kramer. And if that RG550 I played had infinities(I think that's what they were), I'm yet to find better stock pickups. Those were Jap ofcourse.

EVH never played those quads. I believe he uses some flavor of DiMz

18. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

Yeah, i think he used a ToneZone

19. Nouman011

Nouman011 New Member

The quads are pretty crap dude. Very Dark, and mostly lifeless. I've played them on my friend's Kramer. Even he prefers the inf3 and inf4 on my guitar. Granted they're no Dimarzios, they're still much better than the Kramer Quad rails.

The Infinities are mediocre, at best. But much better than the kramer quads. I haven't personally heard the V7 and V8 stock pups on the 1570, so no comment there. Although i've heard that wiring and adjusting the neck pickup properly can lead to some tasty tones.

What you played on the Jap RG550 are the V7 and V8 pups (if it was stock,) found on the RG1570 now.

20. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

I'm not too sure they had V7 and V8 back in 1987 but I wouldn't know much about that. IMO the coolest stock Ibanez pup I've ever played would have to be a Super 58 in a friend's '81 artist. Not the hottest pup but definitely one of their better offerings. Awesome guitar too