Help needed to buy gear

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Satch_fan, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Satch_fan

Satch_fan New Member

Hi All,
    Hi Jayanth,
    I am using Givson bluebird electric guitar and zoom 707 pedal for the last 1.5 yrs. Now I want to go for GT-8, GT-6, GNX3 or GNX4 and an Ibanez guitar and also a small amplifier. I do stage shows in Kolkata so now I want to invest some money. I am new to Bangalore. Could you please let me know the location/addresses where I can get good deals in bangalore. Pls let me know the current prices also. Thanx a lot!

2. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

hi Satch, Jayanth is no longer in IGT. Though you can search his post, he might have suggested wat you exactly need in some post.

dont be in hurry, other experience guys frm IGT will help you soon. just hold on.

3. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

If u can afford the GNx4 there is nothing like it. well I think the cheapest place to get a high end pedal is RHYTHMS probably the cheapest in bangalore.

4. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

hi again

Hi, I had sent you a PM earlier, guess you did not check.

I checked at my regular shop, the GT6 is 29 K and the GNX3 is 27 K, with bill and warranty, and he says he will match it or even go low if someone else offers the same. Tell me if you are interested and I will point you to him.

We are looking for a guitarist with gear for our band (being formed, we are also looking at incorporating bengali folk and baul songs into western) so if you are interested pls let me know.

Sanjiv
    [SNIP]

5. h4f0n

h4f0n New Member

I saw a gt6 in action, pretty good i must say!

6. fictional_real

Ibanez JEM Prestige is among the higher end guitars, Though couple of guys in IGT own RG series Guitars, they are good too. There are several other guitars, i suggest try all of them before use, you may change your mind.

7. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

id suggest to buy stompboxes..personally i prefer analog to digital

8. Satch_fan

Satch_fan New Member

Thanx to all Fictional_real
    Chintan
    Sanjivdas
    Dennis
    H4f0n

Sanjiv I had seen ur PM.Thanx. I had come here for my job (deputation) and shortly be going back :-(
    Nevertheless the gr8est gift I received here in B'lore was to meet with you guys over net and become a member of IGT.
    Guys, thanx also for mentioning the prices. see it seems to me that the prices in Blore are more than those in Kolkata, where GT6 is available at 20000 rupees and GT8 at 22500.
    GNX4 is 38000 in Aruna Musicals (it is not available in Kol though)..but it is way too out of my budget.
    from the guitar buying guides here at IGT( they are really awsome) I am planning to invest more towards buying a good guitar. Also contemplated buying separate single units(pedals) but I think they will not be convenient to handle in shows. Also how about zoom GFX-8 compared to GT6
    See, I am concentrating on distortion sounds with more depth. I was told not to go for Korg1500 as they are not good...correct?
    Also how about Marshall amps with in-built pedal (not seen but heard of it)
    JEM will be costly as Steve Vai uses it, right :)
    I will let you know about my experiences after I try out guitars in Kolkata (reynolds).
    Before buying anything I will let you know about my decisions.
    Currently I am practising legato techniques as I want to play in the lines of my guru Satch. See there are certain vendors in Kolkata who sell good guitars but I guess some of u will suggest to go for a shop where many guitars could be tried out. Lets see
    Please let me know about your views.Thanks for tolerating such a long reply

9. fictional_real

^^ur welcome, ibanez JEM prestige cost around 98,000 INR in mumbai. i asked the price of korg ax150 (1500?) was aaround 15,000 INR.

10. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

dude-all the pros use stompboxes!!.
    they aint too difficult u know: u get those pedal boards/boxes(dont know the exact name) which takes care off all ur difficulties/wiring problems.
    Heres what I suggest:
    Boss DS1- 40$
    Dunlop Crybaby with Fasel -90$
    Boss Delay-120$ ??
    If u play metal then replace the DS1 with an MT2.
    U might need a compressor but add em on later.
    thats 250$ and the sound u get is much more solid!!.
    Satch uses the Boss DS1 and Chorus (Check out the G3 2004 concert)
    Slash and Hammett use the Fasel wah- I have got the Fasel wah and its awesome- im gonna post a clip in a day or two so then ull get to check the sound out.

The best thing is ull get all the stuff u want at a lesser price(GNX is 500$ right?) , u can tweak them more and personally the analog sound is so much better than a digital one.

So, go buy that stompbox!!

tejas likes this.
  11. Satch_fan

Satch_fan New Member

Thanx Fictional Real for the prices..yes u r correct and the prices in Blore are also the same..at least in Brigade Road...JEM is too costly for me but anyways thanx for the info
    Thanx so much Dennis...I felt really thrilled to know that may be I would able to get those marvellous tones at a much lesser price by going for these stompboxes and I am really looking fwd to negotiate the prices of these back in Kolkata ;-)
    .... however it seems that there will be one problem to store these tones as such...in case of pedals we can create and store the various tones easily...u r also having a zoom 606 i guess...so u will be knowing what i mean...and suppose u r going for a live band show with not enough time to set up your tones then also it might be kind of time consuming...please comment
    Also, any idea about Tansen Guitars with FLoyd Rose..prices and quality...waiting for u r replies with bated breath guys.....happy practising pals

12. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

yeah sure..y wudnt i comment :)
    The thing is that u arnt gonna be changing arnd too much. All u practically need for a gig is a clean sond, a distorted sound , and adding delay to these.
    Ive had my zoom 606 for 2 yrs, frankily speaking there are only 2,3 patches which i use. U two will find that out....i mean how many different types of distorted sounds are u gonna need for a live gig. Perhaps 2 to 3.

13. Satch_fan

Satch_fan New Member

Yeah thats absolutely true Dennis....with my Zoom 707, I use two clean tones, a heavy metal tone, and two distortion tones..a total of around 5-6 patches....ok,what brand of compressor to go for u think
    So the complete list wud be:
    Guitar==> Boss Ds1 ==> Boss MT2 (in case I want to keep this option too for Metallica and Megadeth songs ;) ==> Dunlop Crybaby with Fasel ==> Boss Delay ==> Compressor ==> Chorus ==> Amp
    What brand of Compressor/chorus to go for............another thing....this will require too many cables too, am I wrong.
    Need help on amps too..I was told that Marshall amps are better than stranger==> also what are tubes..like amps only?..thanx for continuing the thread.......

14. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

i dont know about the compressor...where are the other gearheads..ronnieanand,deathdr,dmf??
    check out the pedal board on the net.
    btw..ive posted a clip with the fasel wah in the indie rock forum, check it out.

15. fictional_real

^^whoa! cool. $250 wid all those stuff sounds interesting. Other guys just suggest to have one damn processor, may be they got attitude of "i - need - everything - in- one - box'. Though i dont know the real picture.

Yeah, you said well, how much patches u really need in one damn song (or even show?). yeah, where are you guys?? DMF??? RABI!! hello??

@satch...tansen? i guess u get good custom guitars frm chennai. i dunno if tansen still exist. you CAN go for Tulsi, have heard it, sounds good. Band mindsynare lead guitarist uses it. Jayanth is one of their dealers i guess (dats wat he told me!!)

16. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

Compresor and Tansen guitars

You can go for the Boss Compressors - CS series I think they are, called Compression Sustainer or something, supposed to be good, about Rs. 4000.

Tansen Guitars are available all over Bangalore, go to Reynolds for a look, they have the maximum models, ...go somewhere else to buy :). I don't know much about Tulasi guitars, but for the price of Tansen guitars, you might get a jackson or a slammer. Also, in Aruna musicals, they have an Ibanez, I did not see the exact model (it had the G10) logo on the head, with floyd rose for 18500. Check that out too.

In case you play Satriani, try the Ibanez tube screamer pedal, he i know he used to play that, you can hear that in his slower songs like crying etc. Marshall amps are definitley better, they will cost you about twice that of stranger.

17. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

hey sanjiv, how good are slammers??

18. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Hey,
    You should be really careful in buying distortion pedals. Both Satriani and Vai plus a countless others use a Boss DS1. But they are not stock DS1. They are all Keeley Modded Boss DS-1. The Keeley SE-MOD Boss DS1 costs $105. Moreoever these guys get their distortion from their Tube Amps, they use these distortion / overdrive pedals as a boost during their solos. I hardly know a big artist who would use a stomp box distortion alone in front of a clean amp. Ibanez Tube Screamer is a pretty weak stand alone distortion pedal. If you are looking at a stand alone distortion pedal, you could check out Keeley Mod DS1 or Keeley Mod Boss MT2. You could also try Proco-RAT or Rocktron Stomp Boxes. Check out Toadworks - Death Rattle II. It's like two distortion pedals in one stomp box plus it also has a boost button which will increase the volume, gain and sustain required for soloing.

19. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Compressors are used to maintain even dynamics in your playing. This also results in increase of sustain. A compressor would affect your sound in making it sound thinner. If you are a Metal guy, who would just shred and use long sustain notes or plenty of smooth legato lines, then it's good. If you are a kind of Blues player, who would want a lot of picking dynamics, give it a real second thought. I used a compressor for sometime. Initially I was happy with the sustain and then I got pissed off, because every note started to sustain. I wasn't much interested in meddling with the compressor on and off during a solo.
    Toadworks Death Rattle II - $175
    or
    Rocktron Silver Dragon - Both Tube and Solid State Distortion in one pedal - $105 (I guess)
    Any Wah for cheaper price - $100
    Rocktron Small Timer Digital Delay - $60 (I guess)

This delay is very good but doesn't have long delay times. Actuall you dont require one for any normal playing. This Toadworks Death Rattle is two distortion + a clean boost too. So you can consider it as a three separate pedals in one box. That justifies the price too. It doesn't use cheap quality components and made in China. It's a boutique one, hand made and tweaked to the manufacturers satisfaction and all done in the USA. It's really versatile too for playing it from Blues to Metal.

20. ninad77

ninad77 New Member

Hey Incase you are visting Mumbai Let me know I think prices quoted GT - 6 is way to high I can u give the Roland dealer no in mUmbai call them check u might just ge it cheaper I not too sure if u will get GT - 6 now onwards becasue they introduced Gt -8. They also deal will boss Pedals incase you are interesed... GNX 3 & 4 are expensive but good I was personnely thinking of buying it now I have enough pedals ( Stomp Boxes ) at home .. Hence I not gng in for it but last I checked in Mumbai the GNX - 4 was around 25 K to 26 K in Furtados..

Well Ibanez has some decent Guitars in G-10 serises ( both grx & grg are good ) try them ... As far Tansen goes I like them too.. & Slammers are basically low end Hamer Guitars made in China or Korea I have not played them but Hammer Guitars (US makes are one the best in the world...

Ninad