help needed:shifting between chords!!!

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by ijlal, Jul 5, 2004.

1. ijlal

ijlal The B chord

hi all..

my probelm is this that i m facing very difficulty in shifting from one chord to another...

for example i can't shift very smoothly from D chord to C chord..i m not getting the smoothnes in shifting...please tell me what to do?? and also tell me if their are some techniques of shifting between chords.

regards.

2. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

Only one solution.. Practice with a little more concentration.. See the point is that you have to know what your next chord is. Prepare for it mentally and change.

3. dhim

dhim New Member

Practise.

Practise.

A lot of newbies have problems in chords progression. But there really is no shotcut to get the smoothies. Practise and practise with a positive frame of mind.

I too face problem with new chords and solos [ I am a real crap on solos, chords I am ok] but practising has helped me. if possible practise with a friend [this helps the most]

Dont give up and practise a little more

Regards,
    D H i M

4. jayanth

Dhim a little advise.. No promises but practice the exercises i'm gonna post soon..

5. dhim

dhim New Member

Jayanth,

I am looking forward to those exercises... and I will ensure 100% efforts from my side

Regards,
    DhIM

6. jayanth

Keep a watch in the New guitar tutorial forum...

7. MARS

MARS Mars Ji...Finally!!!!!

Waiting for the tutorials and exercises...

When are u going to post them man??

this week?

or,within a fortnight?

8. jayanth

Mars.. I'll post it on Monday.. Sorry for the Delay..

9. MARS

Ok BOSS...
    Take u r time..
    :beer:

10. dhim

dhim New Member

Dear ijlal

Try this excercise for smooth chords progressions

1. Get the chord placing correct first i.e "C" or "D" on the fretboard.

2. Strum the rhythm straight i.e. no up and down but single strokes inititally slowly and then you can increase the speed as you start feeling comfortable change the chord after 8 stright strums

3. Once you gain momentum in step 2. Try different rythms and songs that have that specific progression

4. Repeat the above steps at every new chords you learn

5. If the above 4 steps work for you. Thank me ;)

Regards,
    DHiM

11. ijlal

ijlal The B chord

thanks dhim..

i really practiced hard and now i m getting a good smoothness between the chords..
    and thanks for ur exercise..

regards.

12. jayanth

PLay this
    |-----------------------------------2--3-----------|
    |----------------------------1--4------------------|
    |---------------------2--3-------------------------|
    |-------------1--4---------------------------------|
    |------2--3----------------------------------------|
    |1-4-----------------------------------------------|

And Back the reverse.. I'll post more soon. THis will get your fingers into action..
    Use all four fingers..

13. dhim

dhim New Member

Ijlal,

You are always welcome.

Regards,
    DHiM

14. MARS

Hey Guys...

1 problem...

i dont use my fourth finger (little finger) much while playing the leads...ok..i shud say i dont use it at all...will there be any problem in the long run...

i mean sometimes i feel that i can play a particular piece better if i use my little finger also..but still ..old habits die hard..

so suggest me..shud i start using the finger or is it OK??

:confused:

15. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

yes... you should begin using ur little finger or u'll hve trouble playin most leads especially with legatos and tapping...

16. jayanth

I posted that exercise to get your little finger ready.. If you dont get it ready my other exercises are useless..

17. sumit

sumit HaNdS uPPP!!

hey thx for the lesson ...........it really helps man ..........well i taught this exercise to my fren n it helped him a lot............it helps to teach my frens

18. jayanth

Ok More..

|--------------------------------------------------|
    |----------1--2--4--2--1-----------------------|
    |--2--4------------------------4--2-------------|

Use the Little (pinky ) Finger.. Play this combination at any place on the fretboard..

Like play the same hand sequence at different locations to get your Sonics right.

19. rajscorps

rajscorps Kaput

There's a real good way to switch between chords with ease, even if you're just starting off.

Form the C Chord, and keep your fingers positioned. Now lift your fingers off the fretboard half an inch or so (keeping your fingers positioned in C) and place it back. Repeat a few times. Make sure you are hitting each note individually to isolate any strings that buzz. Nip these problems at the bud.

Do the same with the D chord. After you are familiar with each chord and can form a C and a D with ease, practice the switching. You will see immediate results.

'Smoothness' comes from fretting each note of the chord simultaneously. This can be only made possible if you switch over and place each finger on its respective note. The above method should help you achieve this fluidity. Also at the start, switch chords once every four beats. You will build confidence with time.

I don't think finger exercises are helpful for chord formation, since finger independence isn't necessary for playing chords/strumming. Finger exercises are for lead/solo guitar, and would only confuse the beginner, who initially wants to try every possible exercise available.

Cheers!

Raj

20. jayanth

That helps.. Practice still is the best solution..