Help needed, please.

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by d_ist_urb_ed, Mar 5, 2005.

1. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

I'm looking to buy new equipment for myself. Not exactly as of now, but in a few months. And i wanted suggestions from you people about a few things. I'm looking to play mostly Iron Maiden stuff, a bit of metallica and other metal stuff. I had in mind to buy an Ibanez RG370DX, but i have no idea about the other equipment. If you could give me suggestions on the amp, pedals and any other stuff that i might need to get the original Maiden sound, i would be most obliged.

2. shak

shak Harrr!

tuff one @dist .... honestly i have no idea what to recommend ... but i think a marshal solid state amp .. or a line6 spyder amp ... definitley dont buy a valve state amp.......umm a distortion pedal would be good ..try boss .... i have a marshall jackhammer...it works good for metallica ...so in a nutshell..
    go for a solid state amp (prefer spyder mk2 or marshall)
    and a distortion effect pedal.
    and also get a cry pedal

3. d_ist_urb_ed

Thanks a lot! shahrukh. I'll definitely look into all that stuff, even i was thinking of a Boss pedal, an MT-2 or something, and an amp i never looked at spyders. I'll do so now, thanks again.:)

4. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

@disturbed - if u love maiden - forget the rg370dx - ull hate it..... go for something with richer tone - i love that guitar -but trust me - u wont enjoy playing maiden on it....

5. d_ist_urb_ed

Do you suggest anything specific bro? I absolutely have no idea, you'll have to help me out.

6. tejas

tejas ..........

Pedals? Get the MT2. Its awesome. Perfect for the thrash sound. Not necessarily for the NWOBHM though.

7. deathdr_87

get a fender strat for sure - u dont need an fr locking system thoguh - u wont need it much for metallica and maiden.... if u ahve a nice budget - u might want to replace the pickups and put in seymour duncans - i think murray uses those.... not sure which ones but i think he uses seymour duncan hot rails....

if ur budget is still hgiher - then get a jackson king V

amps - definitely marshall for the maiden and metallica sound.... no questions there

no clue about which pedals - ur right though - try boss pedals - theyre the most versatile and will suit almost any style of music....

8. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Bass-tard Child

Ebay is a decent place to buy guitars. I just bought a black Ibanez RG 7620 7 string...KICK ASS!!!

9. d_ist_urb_ed

Thanks a lot dude.

10. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

Les Pauls are really great for the Maiden sound.

11. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Check out AMT Metalizer for your distortion pedal. If you play on an AMT pedal, then you wont even bother to look at Boss Pedals. I have an AMT Fatal Tube and it kills. I am sure all of you will agree to this. Any doubts, come and check it out. Great usable tone in every position. Anyway Fatal Tube may not nail down a Metallica sound. So check out AMT Metalizer or AMT Dist Station. You can look at it like a Distortion Processor where you can set 16 different distortion patches from classic rock to out right thrash metal.
    Check out Toadworks DeathRattle. It's two great distortion pedal in a single pedal plus it has a boost which you can use it for playing solos. This boost keeps almost the same tone but boost in volume and fatness.
    Check this Rocktron Silver Dragon. This is a tube distortion. It also has a solid state distortion and you can combine these two and get the best of both the worlds. A really versatile distortion with terrific gain and thickness.

12. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

I know Adrian Smith used to play an Ibanez Destroyer. So you might want to consider the Ibanez DT200 which is basically a refurbished Destroyer (it's also great to play Metallica since its design is similar to a Gibson Explorer :p:). Also you might want to get custom pickups for it instead of the PowerSound pickups that would be stock. This is the tough decision. For an accurate Maiden sound you would need either Seymour Duncans, Jeff Beck or DiMarzio pickups. For a Metallica sound there is no doubt you should go for an EMG 81/85 combo (81 in the bridge, 85 in the neck).

EDIT: I recommend the 81/85 combo that James Hetfield uses over the straight 81/81 combo that Kirk Hammett uses simply because the 85 will give more variety to your guitar sound than the 81/81 which is honestly just a soloist combo.

13. sethlover

sethlover New Member

Hey disturbed! i think to nail the maiden sound considerably close get a Squier Strat - the cheaper version of the Fender Stratocaster, ditch the pickups in it and get 3 Seymour Duncan Hotrails pickups, they make specicfic ones for Bridge and Neck (with the Neck version being Neck/Middle for middle also) you could also decide to get just two for Bridge and Neck and ditch the Middle if you dont play in that position too much. You'll get VERY close to the Dave Murray sound and the guitar will absolutely RAWK! I ordered a pickup from the US from a guy called Steve - www.stevesmusiccenter.com and it came here with no problems and he stocks Duncans...you could consider eBay too as there are lot of stores that sell Duncans and ship worldwide but be sure to opt for shipping insurance even if it cost 3 or 4 Dollars more, sign up with Paypal and pay, i can tell you this is a HOT setup, the Hotrails are very nice pickups and you can use any decent distortion to kill people with your setup!!

14. deathdr_87

@dmf: i think the syemour duncans would be a better bet - i like their tone - very versatile

@sethlover: yes!! thats the exact setup i would reccomend - but avoid ditching the middle pickup - ur restricting urself when trying to get some nice clean tones for metallica...

15. d_ist_urb_ed

Wow, thanks all so much. I'm saving each and everything of this for later reference. Thanks again!

16. sethlover

sethlover New Member

deathdr - thats true, the middle pickup can be useful if combined with bridge or neck...but if budget gets tight he can decide to stick with the stock middle and do away with the middle Hotrail

disturbed - a Squier Strat in a place in Bangalore costs 12k and the Duncan Hotrails (Bridge and Neck) would cost about 7.5k including insured shipping from ebay and 6.9k if you want them from Steve (there will be duties this way)