Help Needed on buying Ibanez Guitar

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by sanjivdas, Dec 22, 2005.

1. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

Hi,

I am getting an Ibanez from the US through a friend. I have some queries, would be grateful for inputs.

1. How is the GRG170DX? Has anyone played on one, what are the positives or negatives. I have read a lot of reveiws about it, so would appreciate feedback from people who ACTUALLY own one or have played on one.

2. What about the GSA60? I am don't play much hard rock and seldom use the tremolo. I already have a squier standard satin stratocaster, i am looking for another guitar to get a fuller/fatter/screaming sound. The GSA60 has a normal tremolo, which is OK by me, I am keen on the mahogany body (for the richer sound). Any feedback?

3. What is the difference between the RG321 and the 321MH? I would think the MH would mean mahogany, can someone verify? Any other differences, pickups etc? Also, what are the feedbacks on these two?

Considering I use the tremolo almost next to never, what model do you suggest I should go for? Please don't ask me o go for better models as I can't really up my budget from this level. And for the internet shopping buffs, do u think the prices should go down on boxing day and after that?

Appreciate your responses.

2. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

GRGs' GSA's etc. suck big time..id suggest u go for perhaps a fender mexican strat(if u are not against strats). Else try for the RG series. I am assuming ur budget is around 400$.

3. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

@ Dennis - I already have a good squier satin stratocaster (standard series), I don't want one more similar sounding thing.
    Have you played the GRG170DX or the GSA60? I know the aversion to the G series Ibanez, but the reveiws I read for these two are different from what you say. And I am getting these for between USD 220 to USD 275 (RG321MH). I'm not upping my budget really.

4. kiran_1377

kiran_1377 New Member

Hi Sanjiv,

I have been waiting to buy the GRG 170DX and was wanting to know real feedback on the same..the reviews elsewhere (abroad sites) say tht the guitar is good for the price you get.( Rs.10900/-)

I dont think anyone at indianguitartabs owns it or has played it..and the general feedback here is that the GRG 170 sucks!

So i suggest go to the music shop and try it out yourself, ask the guy for suggestions and then take a call.

5. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

I agree on the part where you say you need to play it to know it..

So after that the review is still the same.. Lower end models available in INdia are not worth a buy..

@ sanjiv: Check out the RG370DX.. Its reaaly a NEAT guitar..

6. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

I) RG321MH- 272$
    Its one killer guitar!! Seriously , it has a mahogany body , INF 3 and 4 pups and the legendary Wizard II neck. And the Mahogany oil look is top notch. What else do you want!!!! The best of everything on one guitar!

II) GRG170DX- 225$
    A small comparison between the RG and the GRG
    a) The wizard II neck gives way to a sad ass GRG neck.
    b) The INF pups give place to the Powersound pups,
    c) The EDGEIII bridge is replaced with the FAT 10 bridge.
    And to top it off the frets are not even Jumbo!!!
    Therefore the GRG170DX is nothing but an RG with low end materials. A decent buy if your low on the moolah.

II) GSA 60- 205$
    Well the GSA 60 is a more affordable version of the S series of guitars. Firstly it has Powersound Pups which i am really not a huge fan of. The SAT 10 bridge is just about average and the GSA neck is horrible imho!!! Also, more importantly the GSA 60 does NOT have a mahogany body(as you think), its an Agathis body!!! So thats a huge turn off!!!

Conclusion- Close your eyes and order the RG321MH!!!!

7. chintan9

@ sanjivdas- Yup your right about the MH thing. It does mean mahogany. The older versions of the Rg321 were basswood.

8. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

^^ which pickups on RG321??

9. Aka Oz

Aka Oz /\K/\ - Ozy

well i used to hav a GSA 60 juss recently sold..........its a good guitar....well go to any guitar shp ply the ibanez guitars and judge by urself

10. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

Yes, I had more or less decided on the RG321MH. Seemed more like what I want. Of course, hardcore Ibanez buffs might take a piss on me for buying an Ibanez without tremolo, but then, to each his own. I was also looking at a Schecter Omen 6, which I sort of like, but I don't know if that would give me the sound I am expecting from the mahogany body RG 321?

For me, it seems to be the RG321MH for now.

11. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

@ Sanjiv : Tremolo should not be a must. .Though i like the Floyd Rose a lot..

12. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

Now I'm confused. If I go for the guitar I would definitely want the INF3 & 4 pickup combo. zzounds says the RG321MH has INF, the other sites say it has Powersound. What is it? Can anyone tell me for sure what pickups are used in this guitar?

13. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

Chintu said its INF 3 & 4...

14. chintan9

Dude the 2005 models have INF pups , the 2004 models and before have Powersound. If zzsounds is the only site that says INF pups then buy it from there

15. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

Yes i checked the Ibanez site it said INF. However, whoever is offering with the INF pickups do not offer the Mahogany Oil colour,,,,I was so hooked to the shade. A toss up between shade and pickups. How bad are the Powersound pups? Considering I never gig or stuff, how bad a choice would PSND pups be compared to INF?

One more dumb question, are PSND pups also designed by DiMarzio?

16. chintan9

Dude this may sound a little weird but I suggest you pick the colour over the Pickups. YOu can always change the Pups later but you will never be able to get the mahogany oil look(which by the way kicks ass!!!!).

I suggest you go for the older version with the Mahogany oil and get the pickups changed. But if you feel that the look isnt really important then go for the 2005 model with INF pups.

Oh by the way powersound is not designed by Dimarzio.

17. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

@ Sanjiv : You going for the looks of a guitar?? I have never played on powersound.. But go thru some site and if they are DiMarzio designed, then it should be goos..

18. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

i went to this new store On Stage today..they had the RG321 ..yes, with inf pups..priced at 15k

19. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

@Dennis .. where is this On Stage store? Did they have Mahogany Oil colour?

@ Chintan... Thats what I am thinking Bro, seems they have discontinued the Mahogany Oil shade. And considering I don't gig or do recording etc, I might just about manage with the powersounds, and then change the pickups at a later date. If I'm lucky, someone might pay me some decent amount for the powersound pickups as well. What would a pair of Infinity Pickups cost does anyone know?

20. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

OnStage is in Delhi, Lajpat Nagar. Dont remember the colour, sorry( i think it was grey but not sure)