help needed...my 6GB of data in trouble...!!

Discussion in 'Computer Forum' started by light_of_erindi, Jul 25, 2005.

1. light_of_erindi

light_of_erindi New Member

My XP screwed up bigtime....after it showed the blue screen for what seemed like a hundred times...before eventually dying out....now i have installed 98...but it does not recognise one of my information critical drives.... :shock: :help: ....

I treid to see if it was lost totally...using the partintioning tools...and it showed the formatting to be FAT32 and the used space indication was correct...so iguess it IS retrievable.... but any ideas how to do that?..... :help:

2. zoomingrocket

zoomingrocket TeChNiCaL AdMiNiStRaToR

I guess.. ur partitions were NTFS...tats why they arent recognised by Windows98 anymore...

Install this NTFS Driver(Read Only) for Windows98..which would let u read all u drives and copy the data...
    https://www.sysinternals.com/Files/NtfsWindows98.exe

REgards,
    Zooom...!!

3. jim4u18

jim4u18 New Member

well recently i heard tht if u format a 80 GB hard disk u loose 5 gb donno the reason i didnt ask him if ur hard disk is 80 gb then this could be the reason ask ur comp engg

4. shantanukr

shantanukr yEh DiL mAanGe m0rE

Hey why don't u try the Recovery softwares like 'PC Inspector File REcovery'. Its a FREEWARE but its Damn good. Search the download link from 'Google.Com'.

I hope it will work ...

5. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

y not install win2k instead of 98, 2k has ntfs file system too...and is a zillion times more stable than 98 ever can be

6. light_of_erindi

light_of_erindi New Member

solved....i reinstalled XP ...man that was a bg headache....my CD was badly scratched....i had to restart the setup 5 times....:(....but it happened finally....now that drive is recognized by XP....phew...:)

7. vishwa_81us

vishwa_81us Banned

I think ZoomingRocket is correct... Windows 98 doesn't recognise NTFS partitions.. NTFS partitions are used by windows XP. U can convert NTFS to FAT without losing any data. Many such softwares are available... just search in google... u can also try Partition Magic.. I am not sure whether it supports NTFS to FAT but just try out..

vishwa :cool:

8. zoomingrocket

zoomingrocket TeChNiCaL AdMiNiStRaToR

@vishwa_81us: Man.. .NTFS to FAT is impossible... while the otherway is possible!
    But.. you need to mount NTFS partitions in Win98 using the third party softwares available...
    Then you can see your NTFS partitions and access all the data on Win98...

REgards,
    Zooom..!!