help needed in strumming sound

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by milesfastguy, Jul 24, 2007.

1. milesfastguy

milesfastguy New Member

HI IGTians!!. plz guys help me out with this issue. plz read on carefully.

i hav a Givson G215 acoustic. now it plays really good. but there is a spot of bother. when i strum it, it produces a great sound. but the thing is i want a slightly different sound of strumming- a little subdued sound. i get this sound when i strum the strings by my thumb(the part of the thumb beside the nail). now is there any pick that can produce this sound? recently i cut a piece of cardboard in the shape of a pick and by BINGO it produced the same sound that i want. but u know the cardboard is not strong and will eventually wear off after considerable strumming. plz tell me about some picks(composition wise) that can produce this subdued sound. also, i cant stick to the thumb technique coz i'm not a fingerstyle player.

if u r still not sure of the sound im talkin off here's a reference- a few weeks back there was an add of a motorcycle(don know which brand) that had the song pehla nasha pehla khumar in the background. the guitar strum sound in that is wat im talkin about.

2. kl12

kl12 (Ghost Note)

i think you should use a thick pick for this purpose.

3. fishtank

fishtank Member

take an ordinary plectrum coat it with a rubber base adhesive (bonfix,denride..) then try it out i hope this would work
    try varying thickness of the coat to see the difference

4. saurabhrocks

saurabhrocks New Member

well u can use ur thumb to strum, it will hurt for a few days but u will get used to it.
    u shud try a rubber coated pick, they r avalible in the market
    or try ur hand at the softest and most flexible pick , u can get ur hands on.

or just continue with ur cardboard picks. u can always make a new one when it wears off

5. zing

zing Machine Head

thin picks r preferred for strummin but thick picks will give u the duller sound - try both :)

n please use good quality picks like fender, dunlop etc