help needed for squier bridge setting

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by sanjivdas, Dec 22, 2005.

1. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

I use a Squier Standard Stratocaster, which has a standard fender floating tremolo with 3 springs. I normally use light strings of guage 0.09 - 0.42. This time I tried out 0.11-0.52 medium D'Addario's to see how they sound. By the time I was finished stinging and tuning, I realised to my horror the bridge was half an inch high at the end, and the action was horribly high. The free end of the tremolo bridge had been pulled and lifted up, I presume due to the tension in the strings?. I changed the strings back to my regular lights, and the bridge and action became alright.

Does this mean I cannot use medium or heavy strings on my guitar? Or do I need to add more springs to the tremolo? or are there any other adjustments? The tremolo is the exact floating one as found on regular fender stratocasters. I normally never use the tremolo, so I keep the tremolo arm separate, and I restring and tune without the tremolo arm. Pls help.

2. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

YOu need to adjust the Truss Rod and the springs at the back..
    This will be the default spring setting
    1=====1 1 to 1
    2 2
    3=====3 3 to 3
    4 4
    5=====5 5 to 5

Instead try
    1=====1
    2 2
    3 to 2 3
    4 to 3 4
    5=====5

An Extra spring may be required

3. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

Where do I get the springs? My friend has spare springs for an Epiphone Strat. Will that fit?

Also, I have never touched the truss rod. Is it better to take them to a pro? Who would do that for me in Bangalore? N.Lewis or someone like that?

4. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

Goto Rhythm Musicals.. Or even Bobby would do it for you..