HELP! My Guitar hurts a lot!!!!

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by guitar_legend, Jul 22, 2008.

1. guitar_legend

guitar_legend New Member

In my guitar, the distance between the fretboard and the strings is very much. All my friends' guitar are much better. Whenever I try to play barre chords or something other it hurts a lot as wel as becomes an obstacle to swift switching......Please help me to reduce the gap between the fretboard and the strings.....

Thnx in advance....
    Note : The bridge is already at its lowest position.........

2. thepacifist2013

thepacifist2013 V.I.P Member

Is it an electric or an acoustic guitar. You say the bridge is at its lowest positions suggests it is an electric.

3. angel_of_sin

angel_of_sin bassist.....

take ur guitar to a lutheir an get it fixed........da truss rod must hve bent thereby increasing da distance b/w da strings and da fretboard........nthng to worry about..........

4. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

The distance between the strings and the fretboard is called action. The action is generally lower on an electric guitar, but even on acoustics it shouldn't be so high that barring chords is a problem.

If it's an acoustic which I'm guessing it may be, then you need to file the bridge. This should be done by someone who knows what they're doing. If this was a cheap guitar, look into buying another one with better action.

5. guitar_legend

guitar_legend New Member

Thanks..for your replies...I am newbie in guitar so i dont know much abt it...especially the technical terms....I guess mine is a Spanish Guitar (without any electric port)...
    Is there anything that can be done by me to solve this problem....
    I will sincerely appreciate your replies....

Thx in advance....

6. angel_of_sin

the simplest thing:- take it to where u bought it frm.........and ask dem to reduce da action.........

7. thepacifist2013

Sorry boss, a Spanish guitar is SUPPOSED to have high action, AND low sustain. It is used for mostly finger-picking stuff and designed that ways. It's not designed for string bending, slides and certainly not for ROCK!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFufY5CVxMg

In this case, you might end up ruining a perfectly good instrument if you try to lower the action any further.
    Two options
    a) Learn spanish classical music. It sounds way too good....much better than the usual rock-sh*t.
    b) Trade it for a standard acoustic.

8. angel_of_sin

^^dude dat guy is still 'guessing' dat his guitar is 'spanish'.............

9. thepacifist2013

hehe...true. I missed that. In that case, take it back to where you bought it from.

10. maxer.236

maxer.236 New Member

ya man .. it seems he is learnin first time and so confused ... and also it seems he is not putting effort to press and hold perfectly ..
    just chill and try........

11. maxer.236

maxer.236 New Member

it happens man

see when i started learning guitar the same things happens to me also ... but as time goes by this ll be easy .. from my point of view even the distance is more u try to loose string and can play right....... so common keep tryin and later slowly slowly tight string and try playin it .... it ll be helpful to u ... as ur the beginner............. ok take care

12. guitar_legend

guitar_legend New Member

now i know....mine is acoustic guitar..

13. angel_of_sin

i still gt da same advice!!!!!