Help me regarding finger picking..

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by beatles, May 24, 2004.

1. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

Raj posted all of that previously in this thread:
    https://indianguitartabs.com/showthread.php?t=275

question for you raj, why would you request beginners to play with the thumb for the top three (bass) strings and the index, middle and ring for the bottom three instead of any other fingerplucking technique ?

2. rajscorps

rajscorps Kaput

Rabi, there are two styles of fingerpicking. One is known as Travis picking (thumb plays alternate bass while fingers pick the melody on the treble strings) and the other is the standard style which many contemporary players (including Clapton) have adopted. In the standard style there is no alternate bass (or fixed pattern). Martin Simpson is a leading English fingerstyle guitarist who doesn’t use the alternate bass style. You may want to look him up.

Building a solid technique is particularly important in fingerpicking. Using the thumb and three fingers allows you to switch between the two styles (Travis picking and the Standard style) with ease. Further, the emphasis should be on using the maximum number of fingers possible simply because each of the treble strings can be assigned a finger, hence increasing the range of attack. Initially beginners find it hard to employ the ring finger (just as with the fretting hand pinky) but with proper practice they overcome that hurdle. As you progress as a guitarist you will encounter many complex pieces. It is then you will appreciate the importance of using the thumb and three fingers.

This style (thumb and three fingers) has been borrowed from classical guitar where it is commonly known as “PIMA”.

P = Pulgar = Thumb
    I = Indice = Index
    M = Medio = Middle
    A = Anular = Ring

These are Spanish conventions for right hand fingering (Pulgar, Indice etc.). Google “fingerpicking PIMA” to read more about it.

Again it is not mandatory to use three fingers, but it is highly recommended. I hope this tackles your question.

Raj

P.S. The bass strings are the bottom strings and the treble strings are known as the top strings.

3. jayanth

jayanth &lt;.: : Call Quits : :.&gt;

I second Raj on the Thumb playing for the same reason he mentioned..