Help me regardin guitar strings

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by xan, Apr 22, 2008.

1. xan

xan New Member

hi frnz.i have acoustic guitar.can anyone tell me what is ideal time to change the strings?i heard ideally we should change them every 6 months.why is so?
    n which string to buy?light?heavy?medium?i want soft sound from my guitar.and hw much they costs?
    PLZ HELP

2. rajujee

rajujee New Member

the think is that.. there is no adeal time to re-change your string.. its depend upon your used..

3. chords4u

chords4u New Member

Chords4u

Yes.. it is quite more dependent upon your usage but there are other factors too. Like sometimes, a string(not all at the same time) starts giving dull sound or the outer coiling of the string(from 3rd to 6th) becomes worn-out. That's the time to change it.

Also, sometimes due to moisture in the atmosphere, the strings doesn't give any sustain when struck. So, that's also the time to change it.

Prefer strings of Ibanez.

Goodluck!!

[Mail me the song name at the mail id same as my user-id at gmail and get the song's chords/tabs or for any other information]

4. sarmad_khan

sarmad_khan New Member

well my teacher told me that they change the strings every six months, three or even every month depending upon the use of the guitar, the new strings sound better than the older ones.

5. sukrut

sukrut God Guitarist

you can change ur string ideally every 2 months........

and it doesnt cost too much........so u can afford to change the strings regularly........it'll sound a lot better by just changing the strings......

i usually use alice or gibson........if u want a light sound sound then u can go for lighter gauge.....
    but for a more warmer feel i suggest u go for a set of heavier gauge........

alice cost around 120...........pretty reasonable.........

cheers!
    :beer:

6. radicalz_adi

radicalz_adi New Member

i change strings every 3 weeks or once a month

reason playin 5-8 hours a day they get worn off

u shud change it every 2 months to the max and if its an acoustic every month reason to maintain the freshness and the feel of the guitar

strings i prefer are d addario or roto sound costs me like 300-400 bucks i know works out expensive but u cant compromise wid tone....and if u really want a gud control i sometimes prefer not chagin ma strings for months on ma electric guitar gives a nicer control n feel

as for gauge i use light gauge but id be movin to a mix of light and medium for ma electric

7. xan

xan New Member

Thanx alot friends.thanx for valuable information.

Sukrut can you please tell me that will these heavier strings give me louder sound than lighter one?i dont want noisy sound.need soft and bit loud sound.
    thank u

8. sukrut

sukrut God Guitarist

they wont give you a "louder" sound........just a little thicker sound.......
    its like the difference (sorta) between nylon and steel strings........

if u want a nice soft sound then u can go for the medium gauge.......because the light gauge will give a kinda "MIDIsh" sound.......and the heavier wont give you a soft feel.........

summing up:-
    heavy gauge for heavy strumming and grunging........
    light gauge for plucking.......
    medium gauge for everything else.........

i suggest you go for the medium gauge..........

cheers!

9. xan

xan New Member

thanx alot.i will ask if i need more help

10. sukrut

sukrut God Guitarist

anytime man!
    and feel free to pm me as i wont be visiting these forums too often......

cheers!