Help me learn to play & buy a guitar....

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by G1nahalf, Oct 8, 2004.

1. G1nahalf

G1nahalf New Member

Hey Everyone!!

I'm new here. I wanna buy a guitar. nothing too expensive but something that i can practice on and that i can play some tunes on too. I've never ever played or held a guitar before so this is all brand new to me. I don't know how to read tabs either. but i read some of the other posts and they were really helpful.
    One of the local shops by where I live has a guitar selling...but i don't know if it is worth it to buy it or not. the shop is not a guitar shop.
    Can yall give me advice on what to buy... something light, something easy to learn with, something easy to play, and most definitely something cheap. probably something acoustic cus an electric would be too much for me right now. I wanna teach myself the guitar with help from this site. Thanks!!
    :rockon:

2. maverick8218

maverick8218 New Member

Hi buddy, welcome to IGT.

As far as buying a guitar is concerned, look at the links at the bottom of this thread. for learning tabs there is a thread on this site, on how to read tabs, just give a search. for learning you'll find lotsa material on this site, some other useful sites are wholenote.com, cyberfret.com, guitarprinciples.com.

3. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

check into the Beginners Q&A forum you can find more stuff related in guides to lessons and buying guitars. I'm not going to comment on the guides since i've made so many comments regarding them.

Start from here and then look around the rest of IGT from the links at the bottom of that thread and this thread. https://indianguitartabs.com/showthread.php?t=2106

Any further questions then don't be afraid to ask.

4. jayanth

jayanth &lt;.: : Call Quits : :.&gt;

THere are many more.. If you could tell us what type of music you play, i could helpyou out..

5. G1nahalf

G1nahalf New Member

Hey.. thanks for the advise.

I have no idea about a guitar. i read some of the threads and they say get an acoustic guitar first. I don't know what kind of guitar to buy. i don't wanna go to the guitar shop and get ripped off b/c i dont know anything. i've never played or touched a guitar.
    i want an acoustic guitar. can yall help me pick out a brand and model that isn't not expensive but will be good to learn and improve on?

the types of music i wanna play are songs from hindi films and also english music..such as simple plan.. aslo the blues.... and lots more that i can't think of right now.

6. jayanth

You stay in NY.. Go to Guitar center.. They will help you out.. Buy anything FENDER or TAYLOR or MARTIN....

7. rabi_sultan

no need to buy a Martin or Taylor jay that stuff is very very expensive.

I'm sure a good acoustic Epiphone or Stagg can be bought at around 1/6th the cost.

8. jayanth

Epiphone is good.. Fender is a much better option..

9. G1nahalf

G1nahalf New Member

What would the prices be like... just an estimate?
    FENDER
    TAYLOR
    MARTIN
    Epiphone
    Stagg

10. rabi_sultan

11. jayanth

The Muscian friend price and the Guitar center Prices are almost same.. At GC you get an additional 1% discount than MF..