Help me Choosing First elec Guitar

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by metalhead, Aug 21, 2007.

1. metalhead

metalhead New Member

Ok, i have been researching for quite some time now. i have zeroed upon few guitars which suit me (i am into heavy and extreme metal). Now i am not sure if i should be buying guitar with trem arm or not. another delimma which i have is about frets; should i buy 22 fret axe or 24 fret. whats advantage and disadvange of each?

Here i have selected models from both the categroies.

With Trem:
    Jackson RR3
    Ibanez RGT42DX Neck-Thru

without Trem
    Ibanez RG321MH

i would appriciate if you guys could help me choosing one axe and would love to have few suggestions about amp as well..

my musical taste ranges from Black sabbath to Cannibal corpse. :rock:

2. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

in your budget, dont go for a tremelo because they really suck, buy the ibanez321.. decent guitar,
    as for the amp, whats ur budget and are u planing to buy any effects also..

3. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

Neck Pickup tone usually gets compromised by 24 fret fingerboards, because on a 21 or 22 fret instrument the polepieces of the neck pickup traditionally go directly under the octave harmonic location (i.e., right where the 24th fret would go). This is wat i was being told by one of the Guitar Shop Walla.....

But i personally prefer 24 fret ;-)

Ibanez RGT42DX Neck - Thru......@Alexi seems to be a great fan of Neck Thru guitars......Waitin to his comment on this one ;-)

4. Shreddy

Shreddy LaneyManeyResurrection

if i was going to buy one now i would buy the 321 cus of the fixed brige. Floyd rose can be a pain while learning songs. BUt the neck thru ibanez would be really great too. I own a neck thru guitar with a floyd (tremolo) and its great comfort

5. metalhead

metalhead New Member

Just wanted to add that i have been learning for like 5 months now on Acoustic guitar. so far i have learned Open, barre and power Chords, scales and few modes.

6. metalhead

metalhead New Member

i am willing to spend upto 8- 10 K on Amp... as far as effect goes..i have that on hold for now.. i would like to gain some more control on fretboard rather than spending my time around with effects. i may be wrong, your opinion is appriciated.

Cheers!

7. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

8. metalhead

metalhead New Member

RR3 - Yes i am considering that too. its just that its 22 fret. and i am really not sure if thats really gonna matter for my musical style; as my guitar teacher told me..i should buy 24 fret guitar..
    As far as ESP goes, i have never tried esp guitar..will like to check that one..problem is, no one here in delhi stocks esp guitars, atleast i dont know any.

9. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

Guys dont u find the shape of Jacksons RR3 a bit wierd .... I mean its cool when u play it standing but how bout sittin and playing it???

I didnt find it comfortable at all while sittin and playin it........

10. metalhead

metalhead New Member

True, it feels weird at first but a little practice and its good to go..
    Tip: you need some support to elevate your left leg. then it fits perfectly.. if you have seen Alexi Lhaio's instuctional vid. you will get it.

11. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

for 10k, you can buy a roland cube... i think its the best in that price range... as for the guitar, try esp, theyre amazing and if are spending 30k try ibanez s series, s470 or s520.. both of them are simply awsome guitars with world class tremelo's...

12. Double Click

Double Click New Member

^^ Roland Cubes are a waste of money.. They sound shitty, and are overpriced. Besides, they dont take external effects well.

13. metalhead

metalhead New Member

^^ then suggest any other :(

14. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

i find them pretty good in the price range.. atleast they are much better than the crappy marshalls

15. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

get a laney LX 35.

As for the guitar, Vs are comfy if you start using the classical position. Had to learn that too :(

16. Shreddy

hahah me too. Although i wouldnt buy another V ...ive damaged the lower wing quite badly now. And i would buy the ESP LTD MH250NT if i were you. That guitar is amazing!

17. metalhead

metalhead New Member

now help me deciding between esp mh250nt and Ibanez321MH.. given the price diffrence how better is esp??

18. kaydee

kaydee New Member

hey dey hav esp's at bhatiamusicals in lodhi road here in delhi...ive been lukin arnd for a guitar 2...

p.s.-hw much is d jackson RR3 for n wer do u get it here

19. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

RR3 is for 30K.

The ESP is loads better

20. Shreddy

Id buy the ESP....and id buy it ASAP cus its amazing. I had actually ordered one from bajaao and then cancelled