Help in buying an electric guitar

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by guitarfreak_106, Jan 24, 2005.

1. guitarfreak_106

guitarfreak_106 New Member

NEED HELP in buying an electric guitar. Don’t know much bout them. Budget 15k-17k including amp, fx. I live in Bangalore. Checked out Reynolds. They have 21k Ibanez, Fender 20k. Since I am beginner they suggested a Johnson (with EMG pickups) about 8k-Chinese. Should I go for it? Or for a 9k Tansen? Or would it be better to scout around for a 12k Ibanez(not in Reynolds)? I read +ve reviews about Johnson Guitars on the net (harmony-central.com). I also went to rhythm musicals. They suggested a 8k Samick and 8.5k J&D-Chinese. Also is a Zoom 505 good enough for a beginner(5.5k)?

2. Bandbaaja

Bandbaaja Pronounced Band Baaaa Ja

I think you should pick up a FENDER SQUIER blindly.
    I have personally checked these guitars that are available in India (made in Taiwan ROC). Very good tone, good fret board, and lovely feel.
    BUT be careful before picking a FENDER styled guitar.
    I had a problem so I am sharing this.
    I have a habit of playing all leads with my palm base, stuck to the bridge of the guitar.
    On Fenders this style of playing is a problem because firstly the bridge is too low and thin. and secondly the Volume know is close to the bridge and accidentally turns lower and lower as u play. Note this is a personal view. Also, the volume knob close to the bridge is considered a GIFT for many players who like to fiddle with the knob while also simultaneously playing. I had a problem with this.....

3. Bandbaaja

A fender squier is a cheaper brother of the original fender, and has a thinner body than the original fender, but the tone is pretty good, and for a beginner its good to be used even on stage. Its available for around 12-13k

4. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

5. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

I don't know how the guitar scene is in India now, but I used to have a Tansen and it was pretty good. My preference would be Ibanez > Tansen > Chinese models. But I heard the tansen factory has shut down, so they may just be having old guitars.
    I have a zoom 606 which is exactly same as 505 but with a pedal. Its pretty good for beginners. I used to have a Korg AX1G which I thought was definitely better in quality. It might be in the same price range, check it out. As for amps, I think its better in India to get a custom made amp from a good electrician. I also remember some brand called Stranger or something like that, check that out.

6. shak

shak Harrr!

never buy a guitar blindly.....always try it out first if u like the tone buy...if you don't leave..never go on the looks ... never go on the decal..the two of the most misleading things!
    samicks are good(av-1 especially..good budget guitar) and check the one with emg's..if u like the tone and u get the sustain..then get that..

7. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

I suggest a Fender or an Ibanez, a stranger amp and a Korg AX100G pedal, perfect setup for a beginner.

8. Bandbaaja

well by blindly i meant, without FEAR
    i have also mentioned that u have to play the guitar to get an idea of the feel

9. guitarfreak_106

guitarfreak_106 New Member

Thanx all of u for ur advice.

But has anyone heard of Johnson guitars?
    What should I look for in the tone of a guitar? I cannot distinguish between a givson tone and a tansen tone? I have not heard an Ibanez live.

10. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

At this stage you shouldn't worry too much abt tonal quality. Just make sure it sounds decent. basic things like how clear the sound is (is there any buzzing) and how the sustain is. By the time you become a good player it will be time to invest in another guitar, and you will be able to make a better choice at that time.
    And take someone who knows a little about guitars with you, atleast so you can hear them play. (or tell the store guy to play some music on that guitar) this will help u judge the sound better, instead of just playing random notes urself. (of course play some random notes urself to see how it feels in ur hands).

11. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

abt guitars, i believe its difficult to advise someone at ur stage more than wot others here have done...
    u shud bother less abt the tone if u cant really make any difference..bother urself abt the durability, strenght, the setup, action...be sure to know that the guitar is in good condition as it comes out of the case.
    sustain is very important.
    and that u'd be buying a nu guitar do make sure there are no scratches/marks etc on the body. its properly polished n stuff..
    make sure its easy to play. the neck suits u etc.

abt the amps..depends..u can go for strangers or marshals..wotever..

effects? i suggest minimum zoom 707II wud b just good (arnd 8.5k). korg is also there. or else u can go for lower zoom models if u want really..amps can also have effects remember.

my 2cents.
    hope i helped.

12. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Bass-tard Child

those dont seem like very good guitars to choose from. But all i can advise is probably try each one and see which one you can actually play, or you feel is comfortable.

13. Yousuf_guitar

Yousuf_guitar New Member

Hey guyz what do u think about YAMAHA......i saw one package (i.e guitars + amps) for 1100 saudi riyals but next month it will be on sale for 850 saudi riyals......is it good for home playing as well as on stage playing......*1 saudi riyal= around 15.8 paki rupees...
    should i go for it or not
    ----------------------
    YOUSUF

14. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

you can get more help if you give the details abt the guitar like ...which yamaha model it is...and which amps is it...the model.... uknow?

15. Yousuf_guitar

Yousuf_guitar New Member

I dont know the model for that yamaha.....hey there is there squier for 1100 with amps.....its from bullet series.....should i go for it.

16. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Bass-tard Child

i know alot of people who have started out playing with those starter packs, and got much better guitars when they got better. So if you wanna get something economical without blowing your wallet, sure go for it.

When you reach a level where you can make a low end guitar sound good....then you're ready for something killer. Until then do not rape your wallet.

17. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

the johnson brand u are talking about is pretty good. i've played one of those. also u can consider yamaha or some of our own indian products like hobner, or tronad, or truetone.

18. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

somehow i wudne agree with bandbaahja(old post)
    squiers suck....ibanezs are better...both tone and everything
    GRx 40 is cool

19. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

the squiers i checked here in furtados..have the suckiest tones ever....even the pacifica series is better then squiers....squiers are a big no....but yeah....u will have to get used to fender necks....
    bloody thin....

20. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

i agree wid 6strings assasins....though u shud always go for a guitar which has good durability and stuffs and tone would the least good thing u cud be expecting though it shudn't suck so much so dat u till sounds completly crappy. u'll defenitely come to know which of the guitars has better tone. check all of the low end guitars u wanna buy....sometimes a good brands low end sux more than the lower brands guitars. wat i mean to say is check all the guitars shamelessly.

its ur money..and u got the right.