Help! Have an electric but no amp!!

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by mrfreeze, Oct 28, 2005.

1. mrfreeze

mrfreeze The coolest one!!!

hey guys......i'm in a wierd situation......my brother got me a fender 'squire' elcectric guitar, but without the amp....now i dont really wanna spend 5000 bucks on an amp

now i heard that you can play quite welll without the amp by using your computer speakers or something...enlighten me on this please.....ANY help would be appreciated.....

like..can i have some way of hooking up my guitar to my music system or something? and what about making a custom amp?

2. jekyll

jekyll Banned

yeah u can do that - hooking up to the comp

the prob is that guitar pickups produce very weak signals - so either u can plug the guitar into the microphone port of your computer and use the speakers to get the sound

or u can try some guitar FX like softwares ... that allow you to amplify, and modify the signal just like a normal processor + amplifier combo does ... so u can use the line-in port rather tahn the microphone port ...

u can do the same thing to music system too ...

check this guitar FX :
    https://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/Guitar_Effects/
    https://www.guitar-fxbox.com/

but tell you the truth - nothign can emulate the real amp + speaker combo
    if u are in india u can buy stranger amp+speaker combo for Rs 2000 ... guess taht is cheap enuff

P.S.: u need a 1/4" to 1/8" convertor for plugging guitar to comp or music system

but believe me the sound is much better if u buy somehitn glike marshall or roland amplispeaker ...
    i am insiting on that time n again since u have a fender with you ... and the maximum onus on the electric guitar sound lies with the amplifier and speaker ...

so do some justice to the fender ...

3. aysh

aysh -|h3 ori9in4| (ui!aris-|-

buy a kickass processor .. any damn guitar will soun good .. and yes do buy a proper amp

4. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Most amps you buy are all crap because you end up buying some low end stuffs. Better make your own. It's costs less and sounds far better. I am disposing my Marshall now.

5. aysh

aysh -|h3 ori9in4| (ui!aris-|-

yeah .. its a cup of tea :p

6. mrfreeze

hey thanks guys....but ronnie anand.....how do i make my own amp??

7. ronnieanand

Download a schematic from the web and build it or ask some Electronics guy to make it for you. It will work out very cheap. Buy a good 12" speaker for it and it wil rock.

8. slipknot_555

slipknot_555 RuHH..

gimme sum receipe file abut amps!! will try it out!

9. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

what? really? making our own amp will sound better than marshall n laneys n rolands n stuff lke that? ok so we make an amp and what about those equalizer n over drive/clean options in it?

10. asadqq

asadqq New Member

hey cani use an amp taken out from my car with me jackson emhz guitar

11. mrfreeze

one more thing...what all features should i look for in an amp...tremolo and all that?

12. jekyll

jekyll Banned

amp has only one feature

boosting the signal

u might look out for two channel amp - one that provides clean as well as overdriven sound
    taht will do

reverb etc u can get from additional pedals or processors as n wne your budget permits

and yes the most important thing to lok out for - check the amp + speaker ... the tone (that is without doing any EQing stuff etc) should be sweet
    yeah ... that means u should like it ...

like i compare Marshall MG10CD ... to Stranger 20
    Marshall is 3.5K Stranger is 2K
    Marshall is 10W RMS Stranger is 20W RMS

so does that make Strager better?

no it doesnt coz Marshall has got sweeter sounding clean tone (+ it has overdrive also, which Stranger doesnt)

So teh sound ... n the feel ... are the most important things

13. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

dude..just a suggestion , check out the Roland, it just blew me away...im definately gonna buy it in a week or so.

14. jekyll

jekyll Banned

^^^
    yeah i alos checkd its audio samples ...
    sounded real cool

but it is more than 5K ... taht will be over hid budget methinks ....

15. ronnieanand

What Jekyll. What about your Boogey Man amp :think: .

16. jekyll

jekyll Banned

:think:

ohhh ... but then if i had one ... i would selll it for more than 10K :)grin: )
    thats coz i wont wanna part with it ...

and that reminds me ... whassup on the output transformer front?

17. ronnieanand

Currently a bit busy on certain things, so gear and stuffs are taking a back seat for a while. I have another convert now. My other guitarist is very impressed with Rondall, so he will be getting a Rondall micro stack. A 50W Head and 1x12 or a 2x12 Cabinet.

18. mrfreeze

thanks for the info guys