Help Buying an Electric Guitar

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by mudgalbharat, Jul 9, 2004.

1. mudgalbharat

mudgalbharat Silence Must be Heard

Hi

I am lokoing forward to buy a second hand electric guitar, and know a person who wants to sell his. its a giVson electric guitar he is giving me for 2,900.00 and sez its market price is 7,000.00+. How are giVson electric guitars and what all should I check for before buying it...do you think i am getting a good deal.

best regards

Bharat Mudgal

2. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

If some one is selling a Givson guitar for 2900 and syas it costs 7000, Its funny.. Ok Frankly Giveson electric guitars are not upto the mark.. If you need another opinion ask Myth Pharoah.. I suggest not to buy them at all..

3. mudgalbharat

Thanks a lot Jayanth...

can u suggest one for a beginner like me and how much should it cost ?

regards

4. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

givson guitars for 7000? i think he's not being completely true... but as i am not really sure about the market prices in india, i cannot tell for sure... anyway, most givsons i have seen are not worth 2900, secondhand.

5. mudgalbharat

Well...what i get is that i should avoid this giVson guitar...

6. Theguitarist

Theguitarist New Member

No matter if you are beginner don't buy a second hand giutar.Always buy a your own new.Actually there are no beginner guitars.There are cheap guitars that have low quality.You can buy acoustic cheap in the beginning but not with electric guitars.They should be good.If you are buying electric then we are talking about using it for more than 2 years and for 2 years you won't like to have a low quality guitar or second hand guitar.You would like it to be the best one in every aspect.So wait until you have good money and buy an Ibanez.You'll just love it.It won't dissapoint you in any way.It will be real use of money.
    When buying a electric guitar just pick up the most attractive one,play it.Now if comfortable that's the one.But check the brand name.I would say just check out good brands only.

7. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

hmm... i wouldnt agree completely...

sometimes its better to try out with a low cost guitar at first just until u get to know what sort of guitarist you plan to be... if you get more into metal and lead playing, then the guitar you will need might not be the same as the one a rock n roll rhythm guitarist would prefer... in such a situation, buying a good expensive guitar from the beginning could lead to some wastage of money....

Givson guitars are horrible for professional use or any long term prospects but they are ok to begin with especially with good equipment such as strings, proccessors, amps etc... but a second hand givson? I would say no... a second hand givson at 2900? Definitely NO!

a new givson wouldn't cost much extra... and hobners and other low cost brands ( i 've heard good reviews about tansen) would be a better idea.

8. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

Ok. the Hobner guitar electric range starts at around 3500.. Try them..

9. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

how much is the Fender Squire and the Yamaha Pacifica in India?

They are two excellent entry level guitars, there's also a Epiphone entry level guitar that should cost around the same price as the Fender and the Yamaha.

In terms of £££ i'm talking around £90-140 here.

10. Myth_Pharoah

Myth_Pharoah New Member

The Epiphone fat strat is about 11k-13k.

Dude, DON'T BUY THE GIVSON! I'm repenting... I'd rather go for a beginner Samick fat strat, its the perfect beginner guitar. Its about 8k.

Which city are you from?

11. jayanth

jayanth &lt;.: : Call Quits : :.&gt;

Tantric Guitars?? ok anyways.. Fender Quier package is priced at 13 K and the Yamamha is at 14.5 K .. Myth's prices are quite close cause he has given both the upper adn lower limit.. Its 12k In Bangalore.. Varies from city to city...

12. Myth_Pharoah

Myth_Pharoah New Member

Yeah, I had the stupid Furtados price list but I had to give it to a friend who is now in Varanasi... dang it!

13. jayanth

jayanth &lt;.: : Call Quits : :.&gt;

it actually correct..

14. Myth_Pharoah

Myth_Pharoah New Member

Jay man, can ya get me the price of all guitars, and pedals and amp from Banglore? Or do you call and ask everytime?

15. atulansaha

atulansaha New Member

im also planning to buy an electric guitar.. im not a professional and neither aspire to become one....also, i don't have a 10k to spare for an electric as of now...i checked out a Givson Panther for 4K...the sound seems to be fine, although just like all other Givsons, it lays the plectronic only on the 12th fret! otherwise, it seems to be reasonably good...whta do u guyz suggest? should i go in for it?

by the way, im in Delhi
    thnx Atulan

16. Myth_Pharoah

Myth_Pharoah New Member

Givsons allways seem allright to newbies(like I was), but once you get more knowledg you'll repent. Practice more on the acoustic, and once you have more dough, buy.

17. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

11-13k? i would say to save up and buy one of those three or as myth/jay said a Samick (there's also an entry level Ibanez available as well). I went from my cousin's Sheffield Strat (around the same price as the Fender/Yamaha/Epiphone) to the real Fender USA Strat and there is a HUGE difference (and so there shud be) Don't get me wrong those 11-12k guitars they are very very good, they are just about "gigable" and the construction and craftsmanship on the three i mentioned is very good so I would recommend that you save up and get one of the guitars in the 11-13k price category.

18. Theguitarist

Theguitarist New Member

PEOLPLE GO TO A GUITAR SHOP!!!! DONT JUST SIT AND ASK PEOPLE HERE!!!tHE ANSWERS MAY NOT BE CORRECT TOO!!!

19. rajscorps

rajscorps Kaput

LOL! So true!

Raj

20. Myth_Pharoah

Myth_Pharoah New Member

Theguitarist, said it. But you know what? Most good guitars aren't available to be tested at guitar shops.