Help buy a strat/copy guitar in Mumbai

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ustdjohnny, Aug 18, 2005.

1. ustdjohnny

ustdjohnny New Member

Hi all
    My budget is 12-15k. I want a cheap strat copy (SSS, not HSS) in Bombay. Any suggestions?
    Ideally I would want a tremolo that lets me ride a bit (ok, ok, I know the whole nutlock story and all that, but I have played even a Squier strat which stayed in tune if I twiggled the trem carefully)
    Can I, for instance, buy a cheap strat copy and upgrade machineheads and pick ups later when I have some more money?
    I use 10 gauge strings, so I need a baby that can take same banging.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    cheers

2. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

yes u can get a squier guitar with an sss ocombination - im not much of a fan of it but i think it comes for 12k - the strat though costs 22k and has an hsh or ssh combo - i forget which... there are severalcopies (gb&a, johnson, to anme a few)... else if u look hard u mgiht be able to get a used mex strat for 15k.... (btw - my friend mangaed to get a discontinued fender talon, usa made for 20k only in india) so i suggest u go to some guys who deal in used instruments... while that fender talon deal is very rare - u never know - u mghit want to have a look around before plunging and buying a squeir...

3. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

Try Tulsi

I was in Chennai the last 2 days and had an opportunity to check out the Tulsi guy. He does make some amazing guitars, and I daresay they are much better value for your money. An Ibanez copy with 24 frets, sharktooth inlays, any pickup configuration, maple neck and rosewood fretboard with a standard tremolo will cost you only about 8700. If you want a floyd rose, its 14900. I have played on imported guitars, and I can tell you the feel of these Tulsi guitars are amazing, and the pickups are also very decent. All other hardware is world class, so why don't you spend your money here? Only thing you might need to do when you have money would be to upgrade the pickups, personally I was quite happy with the korean ones he was using.

I have a Squier Stratocaster Standard series with maple neck and a 60s head, with balanced pickups, I bought it in the UK, not the low end squiers that you get to buy here. However, after seeing Tulsi guitars, I am convinced I want a second one, and I am definite I will get one made by him. Take a look at this option man, well worth it.

4. ustdjohnny

ustdjohnny New Member

Dear Death and Sanjiv. Thanks for the help. Can you guys tell me where to look? New to Bombay and I don't really know who deals in used gats. The Tulsi option, Sanjiv, is not feasible for me here in Bombay.
    And Death, I have an Epiphone LP 100 and want the strat for the strat sound, hence the SSS.
    How are the GB&As and Johnsons? The main problem I have seen in strat copies in general are the machineheads and pick-ups...

5. ninad77

ninad77 New Member

Pls dont buy the Johnsons or the GB & A 's unless budget is problem I will recomend the Squire Californai Series Start ir Affinty Strat they are availbale for around 11.5 K in Mumbai & 12 to 13 K in Delhi ... Incase u are interested you try them ay Bhargavas Music near Metro ... Send me a PM I will send u further prices ..

Ninad