Hello fellow Guitarists! Introduction and Advising solicited for Guitar to buy.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by siddharth_shank, Nov 1, 2011.

1. siddharth_shank

siddharth_shank New Member

Hi All,

I once began learning guitar 6-7 years back , but gave up pretty soon for multitude of reasons. Although, much time has elapsed since then, I would like to believe that I can still learn the instrument and will be playing it comfortably in a few years time .

I hope in this journey, I will be ably assisted by you able fellow mates. To begin with I intend to dabble with the device by myself for some time and then perhaps, seek an organised tuition (If you have any other suggestion please provide that). In the process, I would like to get help from you on the Guitar that I should bu (model and shop) . Please provide your suggestion, as I am not very familiar with the brands and quality indicator factors.

Thanks, Look forward to long term of cooperation and companionship with you all.
    Thanks!

2. wylder

wylder Member

Dude, from personal experience I would advice you to put your heart in it if this is what you want. Don't be laid back about it.
    I think you should get started with the lessons right away. Or else work on the songs that you aspire playing...

"A few years" will pass too quickly and giving yourself such blunt goals just leaves you in the same spot year after year. Set measurable goals like song X by date Y (but make the target reasonable). Even if you miss the goal, I assure you that you'll be in a better than where you'd be without it.

Maybe if you posted what kind of music you play, people here could give you more direction musically and with respect to guitar to buy... That's just my 2 cents..
    And yes, welcome to IGT...

3. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

Glad that u have finally decided to learn this instrument. But keep urself motivated.
    If you are not familiar about what path to follow while learning guitar i suggest u better join some good guitar classes..Ur learnin speed wud definitely improve rather than simply wandering on the net for lessons and then finally givin up coz of frustration..

What kinda music do u listen to? And what guitar r u plannin to buy? Electric or Acoustic? And whats ur location?

4. siddharth_shank

siddharth_shank New Member

@Wylder. Thanks for your encouragement.

@Pro Tabber I live in Bangalore, and I intend to play Acoustic guitar. I like country music sort of guitar tunes, and also something that is soothing to ears. Yet, at the same time, I would like to innovate on the music by myself. I intend to join some guitar classes, but I guess I will have to do some scouring for that. Do you have any suggestion for a nice Guitar coaching class.

Can you guys suggest me the Guitar to buy , and the shop too perhaps ( if you have some list ). It will be very helpful.

5. wylder

wylder Member

@siddharth_shank: Whats your budget like? And where do you stay? You can walk into the Yamaha Music Square in Indiranagar sometime. They have a handful of good acoustics in the intermediate range.

Other shops to try would be Furtado's in Koramangala, Soundglitz on Brigade Rd etc. Pay all shops a visit and make sure you know all your options in your range before picking your choice.

Check online reviews for the guitars you shortlist for common build issues like poor fretwork, neck warp, loose binding etc and ensure the piece you are selecting doesn't have any such issues.

Play the guitar and take your time in deciding. If you are not very confident about what a good acoustic tone is, take along a friend/teacher who knows better. This is important because acoustic guitars depend a lot on wood and construction for tone and hence tone will differ between different pieces of the same model. So going after a particular model number alone might not be a great idea.

Remember that you don't have to buy the guitar on your first visit. You can ask the shop keeper for his best offer and tell him that you'll come back after checking out at another store.

6. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

Whats ur budget??

3.5-5.5 K - Granada, Pluto
    6 - 8 - Yamaha F series acoustic
    8+ = Fender
    If you really want a good guitar go for Yamaha or Fender..
    Good sound..Good wood..

There are walden guitars in the price range of 15K and above...
    Not much idea about shops in Bangalore. I think Furtados is there..U can check with them......

7. Vader

Vader New Member

my thoughts exactly (except the pluto bit.. i'd prefer a JIMM)
    Granada lasts longer
    in fact this brand J&D is making really decent acoustic guitars now
    go to a shop and play for yourself dude only then will you know what guitar is best for you
    join a class and take your teacher along (dont buy from him cause he'll get a commision which may make him get you a not really suitable for your needs)

P.S. Yamaha F310 is the most value for money acoustic that i know of in India... plus its Indonesian made...