Hello All... Please welcome noob & help out

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by Frigitar, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Frigitar

Frigitar New Member

Hi guys....

Found this awesome place through google(god bless google). Im from bangalore. Im into CCR , Rolling Stones , Dire Straits & BB king apart from enjoying Led Zep , bit of Doors and The Beatles. I like Floyd but its kinda complicated for my taste.

Im new to this forum and to guitaring( if thats a word)

The threads here for beginners have been a major help. This might be a little redundant but Id appreciate any help I can get.

1) Im trying to buy an acoustic. I went to Venkys(residency rd close to empire).. Couldnt finalise one after trying out atleast 25 :(
    Im already getting a feel for them though.. The Yamaha sounds and feels amazing but is toooooo expensive for a first. Anyway.
    Theres this "Signature" brand that I liked. I didnt like its shape in the Jumbo size but in the normal size it looks and sounds decent.
    I have a budget of 2 - 2.5(max) . Suggestions please?

Im practicing on a friends "Hobner" .. its ok but the signature seems easier on my poor swollen fingers.

2) Im trying to learn it using this video series by Hal Leonard... I got the "Guide to Beginners" dvd series off limewire ( sorry if u guys against piracy but I cant afford originals right now ). I can now ( after a week of learning ) read notes off the staff and play along at slooooow speeds with the dvd. Was wondering if it is a good idea to be learning from videos like this. Cant get a teacher cause a) im only really free on weekends & its expensive b) Id be embarassed cause im 22.

Thats bout all for now. Appreciate your feedback.
    This is a ***ed out forum btw...

Rock On.

2. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I don't know about where you stay but signature have this model here (which they wanted to name the "Amyt Dutta" model) which has those old time sound holes....at the side of the guitar in the shape of a flower. Those are for about 2400 and good. I played one.

It's perfectly fine using videos but Id suggest you get a few basic lessons from somewhere. Nothing to be embarressed about. You'll be surprised to see the average age of the people in guitar classes.....I'm almost 22 and still go...and am not the youngest. A 50 year old man also comes for classes.

3. Frigitar

Frigitar New Member

oh ok... well the one I saw was this beautiful black with a matt finish. Normal large sound hole with the standard streak of white around the body.

The hobner im using has the weird Mughal-Shaped carvings on the sides instead of a sound hole. Yeah it does sound fine but I heard that a standard sound hole is always the best.... Guess thats crap.

As for the lessons.... uh... well maybe I should... but the basics (tuning , basic notes so far ) are going fine I think.
    How important is theoritical know how ? I mean reading music and tapping feet to keep in sync and all that.... I really wish it wasnt this boring if you know what I mean.

4. jozko

jozko Banned

Welcome Frigitar! have a good time here. think it is good to attend classes. i wish i could but nobody teaches anywhere here :-(

5. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

That's why it's better to go to a teacher. Lessons are boring. There's no going around it. Sometimes teachers alter lessons to bring out the interest. Doing it alone really sucks and full strength to you if you can do it.

Theoritical knowhow is just as important as you'll let it be. I was referring to theory as part of the basics.

6. Frigitar

Frigitar New Member

"Theory as part of the basics"... damn!

Guess Id better find someone to teach me afterall.... and jozko makes me feel guilty with tens of guitar teachers where I stay so ....
    Heh.. Thanks ...

Hope this is the birth of a rockstar ;)

7. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

good luck....you're going to need it.

8. Morbid_Angel

Morbid_Angel Sid the sloth

lol i agree man learning online is the worst thing any1 can ever go thru. No fun..workin like slaves and never know if ure goin the ryte way.

Hope ya find a good teacher bro.

Good luck as bjr said..ull really need it.

9. Frigitar

Frigitar New Member

Gulp... Thanks people.

Hope I dont need too much luck.
    I'll prolly have to keep coming here everyday!!

10. Morbid_Angel

i come here every hour. Don't worry you wont need to. Check in once in 2-3 days if u dont wanna be a spammer =)

11. erutu

erutu terminally awesome

Whats wrong with being one?

12. Morbid_Angel

No theres nothing wrong. But serious guitarists are usually not spammers.

13. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

I can second that.

14. erutu

erutu terminally awesome

..and i'll be the third to agree.

15. Frigitar

Frigitar New Member

In not a spammer and im faaar from being a serious guitarist right now...

Rofl :D

16. Frigitar

Frigitar New Member

uh... guys....

Why does it say 0 posts under my Handle ??
    I mean i might not have too many here , but I do have more than 0 !!

17. jozko

jozko Banned

chit chat posts are not counted, i think, rgds

18. Morbid_Angel

^
    Dont think..ure right. Spamming in CCL is useless. Go try HGT or BGT.