having little difficulty playing the D chord

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by Radius_Vector, May 12, 2005.

1. Radius_Vector

Radius_Vector New Member

Hi all

Im new to this place.

First of all, Id like to congratulate the people behind this place, for this preserves the value of Indian music while moving to western instruments. Great job guys :rockon:

Im also relatively new to the guitar, and I have a Gibson Les Paul.

Im having little difficulty playing the D chord, the sixth string(highest one) seems to make a "tunk" noise instead of a nice loud harmonic :p:

Please helpl me out.

2. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

welcome dude , hope you have a nice time at IGT !!!

thread moved to beginers q & a ...

3. cYpHeR

cYpHeR Banned

welcome dude....cant advice u like a pro coz im a newbie too......but try tuning it again....u might need an electrnic tuner.....try to see tht ur string is not touchin ur fret board when ur not holding it...if tht is the case try to raise ur the bridge.....

i guess exprienced guys can advice u better on this.....

4. Radius_Vector

Radius_Vector New Member

Yeah the guitar is tuned well, i have an electric tuner, its just my fingering Im finding it tough to cram all those fingers onto that small area playing the D.

5. Addy Pant

Addy Pant Highway Star

Nice guitar for a beginner!! After 8 months I'm still with my Givson Blue Diamond.

6. Radius_Vector

Radius_Vector New Member

Hi Addy,
    I heard from my friends that Givson is awesome, despite the way some people go cynical about it.
    I myself have tried playing my friend's Givson, and only the higher notes seem to make a jarring noise (which can be removed if played in a particular way), otherwise it sounds almost the same as the Gibson.

Im going to buy a Givson Jumbo soon, for I dont want to take the Gibson to college everyday lol.

Cheers

7. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Hi Radius,
    Your question is not clear. Sixth string is the lowest string, lowest in pitch. So this is one confusion. If you are a beginner, I guess you must be holding open chord. If so where does the sixth string come in a open D chord. What you mean when you say harmonics. Could you please tab out the chord you are trying to play and say exactly what the problem is. What is a 'tunk' noise.
    Since it's a well tuned Gibson Les Paul, I dont see anything wrong with the guitar. If your question is clean, you would have already figured out half the answer and for the remaining half people out here will help you.

8. shak

shak Harrr!

d-major open chord?
    highest string = highest in order or highest in frequency?
    if highest in oder then dont bother, cuz yu dont need low-e to play d-major open chord.
    if highest in frequency then, se if your fingers are muting it, or if there is fret buzz, could be something else, u r not very clear
    welcome to IGT b.t.w!! ..hope u will have great time here

9. Addy Pant

Addy Pant Highway Star

Its not as good as your friends say. Gibson's are way better than any Indian guitar I suppose. You'll find the diifernce when you play a Les Paul and a Givson one after the other. I just got my Blue Diamond coz I couldn't afford a better one and I couldn't play solos on my acoustic guitar (it had 12 frets).

10. shak

shak Harrr!

12 frets??? ^^ ...
    what guitar have ya got now?

11. Addy Pant

Addy Pant Highway Star

^^Givson Blue Diamond

12. Radius_Vector

Radius_Vector New Member

Hi ronnie,

Well sixth string is the highest string.

And I think this is the D chord :

- - - - - - - - -
    - - - - - - - - -
    - - - - - - - - -
    2- - - - - - - -
    3 - - - - - - - -
    2 - - - - - - - -

13. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

so thus u mean 1st string - the strings are ordered bottom to top..

well hold the chord and pick each individual note - adjust the fingers till u get it to sound right.. then again play eahc note - keep doing this till u get all notes t o sound right -

i must be soudning like a broken recorder now!

14. ronnieanand

That's a D Major open chord. You are holding only the strings 1, 2 and 3 but you could strum 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 strings or 1, 2, 3 and 4. The first case is a flavoured D Major also called as D/A or the first inversion of D Major Chord. The second case is just a plain D Major. Roughly both are the same, so bother much about it.

The problem of yours look like fretting it properly. If you dont fret the strings hard, you might get some ugly sound. So to begin with just fret the first string and make it ring well and then add the second string, then work on first and second string. Then add the third string and get first, second and third ringing properly. After you get them, strum all 5 strings. (Low E or 6th string should not be played). Then strum at one shot and remove your fingers and fret it one shot and strum again. Repeat till you are comfortable.

15. Radius_Vector

Radius_Vector New Member

Yea Very cool now Im comfortable with the D.

LOL now time to move on to the full C. Finding it tough to stretch all the way .

LOL at this rate Ill be asking for help for every chord I guess I should shut up and practice :)

16. ronnieanand

Dont worry radius. We all went through that phase. When it was hold a F Major, I had convinced myself that I would never be able to play guitar in my life. Just get through all these basic chords and scales and then your interest will take you further.
    What do you mean by a Full C. Is it an open chord or a Bar chord. I guess you mean a open chord. Follow the same steps I had mentioned below.

17. Radius_Vector

Radius_Vector New Member

Ive always wanted to know..what is a bar chord? (Some spell it barre chord)

Well you know, there is the simple C and the full C. I think it must mean the open chord lol.

18. ronnieanand

It's Barre Chord which shrunk to Bar Chord, nothing related to the Bar where we spend half our life in. Barre means one finger fretting more than 1 string. They are of two bypes Full Barre or also called as Barre and half Barre. Full Barre means fretting all the strings with a single finger and semi barre or partial barre is fretting anything less than the 6 strings. A half barre term is also used if you fret three strings with one finger. The advantages of Barre chord are they are moveable and you can change to the next chord by just sliding the shape up and down the neck. These are not much used when played with high gain distortion. It sounds good in acoustic and also with light over drive.

19. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

hey u can play the D chord without "fretting" over the 6th string by playing it open ...
    but then u need to make it drop D tuning ...

thats the tuning most of the Nu-Metal guitarist follow ...
    there is nothing great in that ... only thing is your 6th string 7th fret should sound the same as 5th string open ...

any more clarifications ? ...

20. ronnieanand

Hey Slayer,
    Dont confuse a beginner who is trying to learn D Major Open Chord with Drop D and other alternate tunings. Let him get comfortable with the standard tuning.