has this happened to you ?

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by satch_attack, Aug 27, 2006.

1. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

i was practicing some exercises on my guitar .basic chromatin runs ,sweeps ,finger stretchs and after practicin all these exercises for 40-45 mins ..my fretting wrist starting hurting like hell !!!..and everytime i move it ,it hurts real bad .wen i move my fingers also , it feels as though somethin is pressing on it ..

i have being playin for over a year now and this has neva happend to me before.i have practiced for an hour many a times before, similiar exercises but this has never happened to me ..

has this happened to you ? have i permanently damaged my wrist ?

really like to know wat to do about this !..

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Tendonitis?

3. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

I think you should see a doctor.

4. POM

POM New Member

it has happened to me before, but unlike u my fingers were fine only my wrist pained a lot. pain was gone when i didnt bother abt it much.

5. Morbid_Angel

Morbid_Angel Sid the sloth

the pain will go away in 2 weeks or so. U just strained em hard :\

6. cumming soon

cumming soon Banned

ya happens to me quite often when i practise real hard , no need to see a doc . just give t a rest for some time and resume.

----------------------------------------
    pain is the
    opposite of orgasm
    (or so i feel)

7. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

Its advisable to stop for a while as soon as you feel pain while playing guitar. You should also warm up your fingers by stretching them especially if you playing intense vigarous techniques like legato or just pure shredding.

the_wizard likes this.
  8. Ibanezed

Ibanezed New Member

its temporary ..it happens when u play continous rigorous stuff ..happens to me while playing phantom of opera

9. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

i always put down the guitar if i start to feel some pain ..but this time ..it was real awkward ..i was playing some very basic 4 string sweeps and some stretch exercises which is on the rock discipline dvd and suddenly ,my wrist started aching like i can neva imagine .

thats the very weird thing about this .the sudden pain is what worried me,.its being a week and still the pain remains the same ..maybe i il rest another week and see what happens .

the other day i was watchin a video in which dave mustaine was talkin about his injury which put him out for quite a while .was that wat alpha1 was talkin abt ? tendonitis ?

10. Ibanezed

Ibanezed New Member

hahahaha ..no wonder ..you gotto get past that pain if ur undergoing rock discipline :)

11. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

If the pain is regular (as in everytime you do something with your wrist for 30+ minutes), then its probably tendonitis. And that is NOT good.

12. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

hahahahahahahaha :RollLol:

reps to you

btw whats Thai Twank? U mean Tamnak Thai?? 400 Rs ka Vodka waala place.

13. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Tendonitis: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tendonitis

Its pretty frequent in sports. Especially sports that offer lop-sided strain/resistance like squash/tennis/baddy/cricket ...

The only way out in tendonitis (mild), is to quit for a time. For severe, you may need surgery :p: But am pretty sure playing guitar cannot result in sever tendonitis. :)

14. echord

echord New Member

no pain no gain, if u feel the pain that means u've done something new with ur fingers (and dont think about anything else but ONLY GUITARING), and thats good but if that hurts for long then what i'll do is i'll rather play more n more until my fingers get used to that pain the muscles are developed for that kinda exercise, thats what i do and yes i still suck at guitars but still learning

15. Morbid_Angel

Morbid_Angel Sid the sloth

wat the hell? jus coz it pains he did somethn new? he shudnt rest but continue eh. Ure gonna kill ppl if they follow ure advice.

16. echord

echord New Member

oh that would be an honour :grin:

17. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

no pain no gain...hmm...i cant even lift my wrist without it aching..and u want me to continue playin the exercises ..

went to the doc, told me it was not tendonitis but just an inflammation caused by whackin my wrist on a hard object( door,wall) .i kept telling him that it happened while i was playing the guitar but he was absolutely sure of his diagnosis..finally he came to the conclusion that..maybe i whacked my wrist on the wall and then when i was playin the guitar ..the already sustained injury was inflammed due to my constant usage of my wrist n fingers...he gave me some oilments and said hopefully it will heal in a week or so...and he also said not to go near the guitar for atleast a week after healing..hopefully it goes back to normal in about 2 weeks ...

btw ..are they any tunes which can be played using the open strings ?

18. Ibanezed

Ibanezed New Member

^ nothing else matters intro :D

19. Glass

Glass New Member

Cools..Get Well Soon...:p

20. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Whoa we have a winner here.
    :aggre:

Dude, do you have any idea about what you are talking?
    Pain in muscles is entirely different from pain in tendons and pain in ligaments.

I suppose no one here would try to run, if he gets his ankle sprained (=ligament tear).
    Your tendon binds the muscle to the bone. They are not = muscles
    Muscular pain = usually fatigue
    Tendon pain = usually injury.

Now go and figure it out, why you can continue with an activity that gives you fatigue, but not an activity that gives you an injury.
    :annoyed: