Happy Rakshabandhan to all !

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by abhay_saxena, Aug 19, 2005.

1. abhay_saxena

abhay_saxena Lord of the strings

A very happy Rakshabandhan to you all !! Hope all of you enjoy with your brother's and sisters and have a rocking day !!
    HAPPY RAKSHABANDHAN!!

2. shantanukr

shantanukr yEh DiL mAanGe m0rE

Wishing everyone, a HAPPY RAKSHABANDHAN ...

And yes one NOTE :also refer to 'SAWDHAAN' thread of vishwa_81us ...

Keep Rocking :beer:

3. nik_bokacheley

nik_bokacheley :help: I'm a mad :sadbye:

:)..happy rakhsha bandhan to alll IGTians..:)..today I was tied a rakhi by my maid servant..:eek::And yestarday one of my class mates tied one..

I am looking forward to rakhis from my IGTian didi's...:eek::..specially vivi diiidiiii:)

4. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

wishing everyone a very happy raksha bandhan from me :)

i got the rakhi what my sister sent to me , tied it myself only :annoyed:

i still owe her for it !!!

5. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

Yea same here one of my cuz sends it across.... :annoyed:

Happy raksha bandhan! :shock:

6. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

haha!i have been putting my rakhi which my sis gave 3 yrs back even now :: WATCH :p:

7. rizaaj

rizaaj Forum Leader

whats the point behind this festival.. i have seen it in movies.. but never understood it...

can someone explain :eek::

Any ways.. happy Rakshabandhan to all
    @vini ... tie me a rakhi, will you?

8. bhav_mistry1

bhav_mistry1 New Member

Hey Rizaaj:

The annual "festival" of Raksha Bandhan, which is meant to commemorate the abiding ties between siblings of opposite ***, usually takes place in late August, and is marked by a very simple ceremony in which a woman ties a rakhi — which may be a colorful thread, a simple bracelet, or a decorative string — around the wrist of her brother(s). The word "raksha" signifies protection, and "bandhan" is an association signifying an enduring sort of bond; and so, when a woman ties a rakhi around the waist of her brother, she signifies her loving attachment to him. He, likewise, recognizes the special bonds between them, and by extending his wrist forward, he in fact extends the hand of his protection over her. The thread-tying ceremony is sometimes preceded by the woman conducting aarti before her brother, so that the blessings of God may be showered upon him, and this is to the accompaniment of her enunciation or chanting of a mantra, which may be in Sanskrit or one of the other Indian languages. In Punjabi, for instance, the mantra says: "Suraj shakhan chhodian / Mooli chhodia beej / Behen ne rakhi bandhi / Bhai tu chir jug jee", which can be roughly translated as follows: "The sun radiates its sunlight / the radish seeds / I (the sister) tied the rakhi / brother, may you live long." After the conclusion of the ceremony, she places a sweet in her mouth, and he might return the gesture. The brother bestows a small gift upon his sister, generally in the form of a small sum of money, such as Rupees 51, 101, 251, or 501.

for more info:

https://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/southasia/Culture/Festivals/Raksha.html

What a beautiful connection between a brother and sister, my fav indian ceremony!!

9. rizaaj

rizaaj Forum Leader

thanks for the info Bhav... really appreciated...

10. guns_n_gore

guns_n_gore hell raiser

:mad: :mad: :mad: this fest sucks as hell

11. dlogic

dlogic Zuitarist

well raksh bandhan isnt always supposed to be happy!!!! he eheh

any ways HAPPY rakshabandhan