Guys Help me out

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by musicoholic, Mar 14, 2006.

1. musicoholic

musicoholic New Member

Guys i wanted some help.Temme how to increase the strength and speed of my pinky finger in playing guitar.I have problems in playing leads and chords which involve my pinky(little) finger.Please Help

2. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

PRACTICE...PRACTICE...PRACTICE!

Also look here

3. vini

vini Repeat Offender

+1
    there is no magic potion! :) practise more wid the leads/chords which require ur lil finger to be in action

4. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

k.strengthenin of the pinky takes a lotta time ..but if u practice some very basic exercises for a few months , your pinky will become strong before you know it ..but right now dont attempt any solos which force you to use ur pinky ...your left hand posture may change if you try 2 hard playin a solo with your pinky ..best thing it ..play the exercise ..strengthen ur pinky .and den attempt playin with ur pinky ..

this is an exercise which i picked up from UG i think ..but its very useful

E-------4-5--------------
    A-----------4-5---------
    D------------- -4-5-------
    G-------------------4-5-------
    B-----------------------4-5--------
    E---------------------------4-5-------

play the above with ur 3rd finger(ring) and pinky ...practice goin up the neck two in the same pattern..dont try to play it fast ..its more of pinky independence den super speed ...first get the independence fo your pinky ..and den start usin it in the solos..

the alternatives of the exercise will be to invert the pattern ..and a tougher one being ..hammerin on the pinky..good luck

5. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

practice some finger exercises and use ur pinky more often
    thats all i guess....

6. khuram82

khuram82 ......:mad:........

a little practice that will build up the muscles for all ur fingers including ur pinky one.............

e - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 1-2 -3 -4 - - -
    B - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 1- 2- 3- 4- - - - - - - - -
    G - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -1 -2 -3 -4 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    D - - - - - - - - - - - - - 1- 2 -3 -4 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    A - - - - - - -1 -2 -3 -4 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    E -1 -2 -3 -4 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

and then this pattern

e - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 4-3 -2 -1 - - -
    B - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 4- 3- 2- 1- - - - - - - - -
    G - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -4 -3 -2 -1 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    D - - - - - - - - - - - - - 4- 3 -2 -1 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    A - - - - - - -4 -3 -2 -1 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    E -4 -3 -2 -1 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

these numbers are for the Frets as well as for the finger
    i.e.
    1 = 1st fret and Index Finger
    2 = 2nd fret and Middle finger
    3 = 3rd fret and Ring finger
    4 = 4th fret and Pinky one

practice along...........thats also a good exercise when u want to warm up.........n its a life time practice ..........jus keep doing it n doing it :p:

i hope that helps

Regards

Super-Admin likes this.
  7. uj_6string

uj_6string Nickelodean Addict :D

practice those finger exercises......they will surely help u:beer:

8. mr singh

mr singh New Member

ye, wht most people sed is pretty gud, includin the website...
    my 2 cents worth is, as part of ur warm up, u mite wanna jus do sum hammerons n pull offs usin various combinations of ur fingers and various fret distances between the hammer on and pull off... it helps strengthen the finger, and also allows more control to be developed.
    gud luck

9. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Hey,
    How do I increase the speed of my picking hand. My picking is damn slow at about 90bpm. I can't play any Metal Riffs like Metallica or Megadeth or anybody. I practise these chromatic exercises and some major / minor scale picking exercise. I do them pretty comfortably but the minute I have to play anything else, my fingers wont move. I also tried some picking exercise from Paul Gilbert's video. I do them at a decent speed. But the problem is I can do only that and nothing more. I dont know if I am missing something. My speed has not improved at all in the past 9 months. I dont have problems playing with my little finger. I can even do bends and vibrato on bends with my little finger almost as comfortably as I can do with my other fingers. Any suggestions.

10. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

I used to absolutely suck at picking. But there seems to be an improvement. I did'nt do much of practice but i tried changing my angle of attack when i needed to pick fast. That seemed to increase speed drastically. Also the best picking exercises i found was from Steve Morse. Really intricate exercises requiring you to play really accurately. Check it out at his website. Its really great its helped me a lot. Try to play Tumeni Notes from Steve Morse's Solo stuff too. I still suck at picking fast but its better than before.

11. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

k..ron ..regarding your pickin problem..i have a few general tips ..cuz .im one of those guys whose pickin hand is stronger than the frettin hand and NO>.i aint jokin..

1) the main problem is the posture and the way you hold the pick..do u anchor ur pinky ??? or do u rest ur palm on the bridge ??...how much of the pick do u use to actually pick ? all these factors are very important

2) try to pick usin the smallest or least motion of the wrist as possible ..use ur wrist to pick and never the whole arm..i know eddie van halen can do it ..but for everybody else..its nerve-wreck impossible

3) take any exercise .like what khuram gave and start out very very slow ..reset your metronome like to 60 and play the exercise ..make sure you are pickin cleanly al the notes and also pay attention to the strain ur puttin ur right hand to..if u are workin very hard to keep up..slow down the metrnome even more ..

4) after you are comfortable wit the exercise at 60..move it to 70...and make sure u use the same technique( same left and right hand posture ) when u play at this speed ..and keep increasing the metronome till 150bpm..tht shud be a sweet speed to work on ..

5) when ever u feel pain in the right hand or left hand ..stopppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp....its the indication that ur hand is givin saying that ur doin sometin wrong ...a little pain is unpassable but if u hands startin burin .stop playyyyyinnnnnnnn

hope these tips help you to improve ur pickin hand ...remember ..and this is supposed to a famous statement by a great guitarist

speed is the by product of accuracy ..

good luck

12. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Hi,
    I dont think there are issues with wrist motion and things like that. I guess I am doing it correct. 'cos when I take up any picking exercise I am able to reach speeds of 150bpm but then I would be able to play only that exercise and nothing else. But I would like to know about that resting the palm on the bridge. I also pick only at the tip, so issues on that too.

13. deepanvishal

deepanvishal New Member

hey dude.... i had the same problem while i started my guitar....
    try this exercise
    D --------------------1--3--5--------
    A -----------1--3--5-----------------
    E --1--3--5--------------------------

1.index finger
    3.middle finger
    5.pinky finger

start it slowly......then pickup speed....its a rock type techniqe to gain strech and speed for ur fingers

Super-Admin likes this.
  14. deepanvishal

deepanvishal New Member

interestd in rock? learn any genre guitar in four months.
    mail me...r call me @ 9176939844

15. allen sebastian

allen sebastian reverbnation.com/nissi

yeah even you can try hammer ons and pull offs! ;-)

i know ur finger hurts .. practice makes your notes perfect ;-)