Guys..Any feedback about GB&A Electric?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by vipin_slash, Jul 8, 2005.

1. vipin_slash

vipin_slash New Member

Hi Guys,
    Any feedback about GB&A Electric.I have seen one in B'lore
    its (2 Single coil + 1 Hmb'Kr) with a Tremolo.Cost is 9K.
    My Qn is that A guitar (like this one) without a Floyd Rose Trem
    system, is worth buying?.I fear it should not go out of tune after
    every 30 min of Play with average to heavy use of Trem.
    My budget is atmost 22K at this time (including everything).
    How is this guitar for playing satrinai stuff especially mid tempos
    like Rubina or Always with u...etc.

Thanks and Regards

2. rust_in_pain

rust_in_pain <:Rising Rockstar:>

i checked out bharat in delhi.....a gb&a electric with HSS configuration and tremolo...body style sper fake strat...it was for 5.5k...the only problem is humming which is common with single coils...b lore seems to be expensive!!

with heavy use of tremolo it is bound to go out of tune...otherwise u cant get better than this for 5.5k..

3. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

Calling Ronnieanand

AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!

4. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

I wonder how can a Gb&a elec go for 5.5K..there must be some mistake..even their acoustics cost 4.5-5K types man...:think:

5. vipin_slash

vipin_slash New Member

I have GB&A Acoustic JumboCutaway model for 5k

6. rust_in_pain

a cutaway sunburn gb&a acc without pickup comes for 4.5k in delhi(the cheapest)......delhi is cheaper especially bharat...coz they are the official dealers of some brands ...

7. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

ask ronnieanand.. he owns wat he calls a super fake...

8. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

Hey i have a J&D strat copy and i seem to be able to coax out of it a few satch songs and i'm sure it's as good as the Gb&A ( i actually played the gb&a strat at the time i bought this one and i really felt the fretboard on the J&D was much better) . But i have to tell you if you're looking for tuning stability you have to get a floyd rose . If you use the wang bar dont expect to make music after.
    Playability of the strat is not bad you can manage to play fast but don't expect a killer sound the single coils will ruin the fun. If you've had a guitar like a Givson before this and this is only your second electric i say go for it cause it's within the budget and you'll get a way better guitar than the givson.

9. vipin_slash

vipin_slash New Member

I have GB & A Acoustic, its cool. I have 3 choices...GB&A or Ibanez (12K price) or Yamaha
    My total budget should not exceed 22K (including everything)

10. sridhar11_2

Just specify what all stuff you want within the 22k and maybe we can help :dance:

11. vipin_slash

vipin_slash New Member

A good Guitar + Amp + Processor

12. sridhar11_2

A good amp would be Marshall MG15Cd Which is 5k. Effects try the Zoom 707 II ( i think 7k) or Digitech RP80 ( no idea on cost).

For the guitar - I have a J&D strat copy which personnaly i feel is much better than a Gb&A strat. ( 7k)

That should be a good deal in your budget (Actually better than the equipment i have)

13. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

@Sridhar, One of the greatest ever and most sought after guitar tones from players like Eric Clapton, Ritchie Blackmore, Hendrix, SRV are all from single coils. Single coils are there for a purpose otherwise it'd have been non existent by now. Even shredder like Malmsteen and Chris Impelliterri use single coils though Malmsteen's later ones are all stacked ones.

GB&a is pretty good. I checked out J&D recently. Played on it for a good long time. I saw it for 6K. The finishing was excellent and had a very nice playability. The downside were the extremely muddy pickups. Hardly any note definition. Try playing some Tapping or Legato runs. You will understand that mud. The neck looked like Maple but the Body looked like some total cheap quality junk wood. So I am not sure about how the life would be and also how it'd last without warping and things like that. GB&a on the other hand uses better quality components. The pickups are still muddy but not as muddy as the J&D. Neck is Maple and Wood is some hardwood. So it can last a bit. The finishing is also pretty neat. I was not very impressed with the newer GB&a. The quality seems to have come down slightly. Actually my GB&a stock bridge pickup has more output than the Bill Lawrence 500XL which was used by Nuno and Dimebag Darrell (R.I.P). Surprising but true. Infact GB&a neck pickup has more output than the Bill Lawrence 500XL.

In Bangalore GB&a is about 9K. I have heard that in Bombay and Delhi it sell for 5.5K. For 5.5K this guitar is a steal. Even at 10K this is a very nice guitar.

14. vipin_slash

vipin_slash New Member

Thanks Sridhar and Ronnie....I may go for GB&A (HHS)

15. rust_in_pain

i dont think there is any HHS...there is HSS.....but u never know!!!
    where will u buy it from?

16. sridhar11_2

Hey Ronnie I did'nt mean that single coils are bad in general i was just refering to the fact that the singles on the J&D guitar is not upto standard ( the same thing you mentioned ) . I might ,in the future, change the pickups to the Fender SRV ones and throw a 13gauge string set to see how it feels .

17. ronnieanand

Hey Sridhar,
    Dont go beyong the 9 string. With 10 guage there are a lot of problems I am facing. These low end guitars dont have a very strong neck construction, so it takes too much stress on the neck if you increase the string guage beyond 9. With 10s, everytime I losen the strings or try to change the string, the neck loses a bit of alignment, so it requires resetting the neck and truss rod adjustment everytime. With J&D dont go beyond 9 guage.
    Buy yourself a good Fender or Gibson and then go with 13 guage. I initially wanted to go for 12 guage strings but later settled down with 10 guage I didn't want to screw the neck.
    With very thick strings, the intonation is also an issue. Moreover you should not tune to standard tuning with such thick guages. You could tune at D or C#. But be prepared to sacrifice your intonation with such thick guages. Else get yourself a Baritone Guitar. That will take even bass guitar strings.

18. ronnieanand

@Vipin, I dont think there's any HHS config in any of the guitars. It could be HSS or HSH.
    Please post a link if you have seen a HHS guitar somewhere.

19. sridhar11_2

Thanks Ronnie. I Probably will try to save money and buy the real Fender SRV guitar (Probably not gonna happen ...., well any time soon atleast). I heard that it's the only high quality fenders( also all the artist models) that are coming out at this time apparently the standards are'nt of the quality of the past fenders. Even a standard fender is great but why not go for the best ones.

20. karthikban

karthikban New Member

i'm frm bangalore... i had recently been to a guitar showroom.. i saw the gb&a guitar...wat r the factors that i hav to focus in buyin an electric guitar(gb&a)