Guitar's neck has bent a bit.

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by pawanzone, Apr 25, 2006.

1. pawanzone

pawanzone New Member

Hi all,

I have not used my guitar for a while, and did not realeased the strings. Therefore, I believe it has bent a bit (curved from its neck, so now strings are far away from the fret). I am facing difficulty while starting to learn my guitar again.
    Can I do something about it?

Appreciate your response.

Regards
    -Pawan

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Wrong conclusion, or rather conclusion drawn from incomplete evidence.

Lower the action (lower the bridge saddle height) and check if strings buzz.
    Yours is whcih model?

3. pawanzone

pawanzone New Member

Thanks Alpha,

Its an aquistic guitar.
    Actually, one of my friend who played guitar for quite long, told me that if I don't use the guitar for a while and don't release the strings, it will bent (from its neck). And, somehow, I am feeling that. Coz, the distance between the strings and the neck (frets) seems to have become very much.

What should I do?

Thanks
    -Pawan

4. vini

vini Repeat Offender

i havent heard of any such thing like a wooden neck bending!...can u post a pic?

as alpha said u shud try adjusting the bridge in accordance with it..to avoid strings from touching the neck...did u send it for drycleaning btw? no just wondering..or maybe u tried messing it around wid water..coz wood reacts like this when in touch wid water..sorry if im sounding stupid its almost 3am..

5. sachoo

sachoo drenched in my pain again

hehehe... yes u r .. best one is in Bold ...LOL ...

anyways pawan, u wud hv kept it real bad... i wud suggest to take it to the guitar doc.. repairer ..watevr

6. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

LOL
    Actually what Vini said makes perfect sense.

The neck reacts to the moisture and heat.
    In dry season you will see that action of guitar usually goes high.

In winters and rainy season it goes down.

The wood usually reacts to moisture
    and the truss rod reacts to heat.

If your friend said that for a particular guitar, he may be correct, because some guitars have that problem, usually ascribed to using cheap quality wood, or the gluing between neck and body not so good.

Dude, attach a pic atleast of the bridge section of your guitar.

7. DJCrunkMix

DJCrunkMix Get crunked up!

Yeah, your "aquistic" guitar is fuked up, get a new one.

8. perestroika

perestroika New Member

dude....the same thing happened 2 my guitar too...(hobmer 245)
    get it changed.....ur right...it happens wen u dont use the guitar for a while......