Guitars and ***ism

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by Petunia, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

So one of our fellow IGT member (eightytwo), commented on the fact that he had never physically met a female guitarist.. and that actually shocked me.

But that hit closer to home, being a female and a guitarist.. (although not as professional as most of you here) I am quite popular in my groups, and it amazed me to see that distinction being made.

Maybe its because I live in a "equality" raving community.. or perhaps here no one really cares as to who does what, but what is the case in India?

Is being able to play the guitar (in this case) a sexist thing? Is it a guy thing?

A female newbie here, cant remember who, had commented in one of the threads and said that she had never been encouraged to play the guitar and her friends actually ridiculed her.

Why would you think that is so? Why has society made it so difficult for females to pursue such dreams? And why is it considered so impossible for females.. if anything I would think we're as good as some of you.

But that calls for competition..and no need for machoism..im merely trying to figure out why playing the guitar has brought forth such sexist views?

Comments?

2. eightytwo

eightytwo New Member

1>I did express dissapointment towards the fact that I didn't.

2>I don't think it's a ***ist thing at all... at leaset where I stay or have stayed. It's just a matter of interest. I have met girls who have wanted to learn how to play the flute or the veena... just not a guitarist... my first brush with music when I was 12 years old or so was to learn the tabala from a lady my mum had met at one of her parties. It's just a matter of interest. I have, in fact, met only one or two girls who were genuinely interested in rock and blues. It's not even that only those girls interested in rock and blues should want to play the guitar... Plus, you have to, simply, have to consider the fact that I do have an amazingly pathetic social life. I always end up meeting girls, if and when I do, who like movie songs or boy-band bubblegum pop and can't care more than that.

3. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

Hmm well in my defense, you said something along the lines of "reading this read made me realise that i havent met a girl who plays the guitar"...and dont get me wrong i didnt mean to pick and point at you.. its just that you brought up a valid point with just that realization.

i mean.. why arent there girls who want to play guitar. and i dont think its because they arent interested in it... i think it goes back to society looking up or down at them..

its like, "oh you play the guitar, now do you?"...almost in a condescending tone. Ive been there...but my "dont care what you think" attitude has let me live the life i live today..

but thats the kind of attitude every girl carries..even if she wanted to.
    Now my question is ...are they genuinely not interested in rock and blues..or is it something that they shouldnt be interested in?

Take this a little further.. and consider outlandish attitude in india.. its not acceptable. Uncommon clothes, pierced body parts.. makeup.. (from a punk's point of view) its completely shunned out.

4. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Of course, it's ***ism.

A girl playing guitar is, in general, sniggered at...it's the same as when they're driving, wearing jeans at 40 or fixing a fuse.

Compared to some of the other instruments, a guitar IS harder to physically adjust to. Your fingers get calloused and hurt for ages and compare this to the piano. However, from what I've personally seen, there really isn't a difference between guy n00bs and girl n00bs except that a guy tends to stick a skull on his guitar and the girl usually has a lot of sketch pen on hers.

I know some girls who play the guitar though a fair few are more into songwriting than the instrument.

This is probably a good time for:

www.myspace.com/orianthi

5. eightytwo

eightytwo New Member

most of them are genuinely not interested in rock and blues.

Skimpy or 'western' clothes might not be the order of the day here... but piercing and make-up being shunned? I think not.

As the case may be... sometimes children are not allowed to listen to what they want because the parents don't like it but that is a universal thing, right?

@bjr: if girls can ride horses, playing the guitar is nothing.

6. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

It's a matter of how much interest girls here have for the instrument or even the music. Many people are content just listening to the guy playing the tune. Of course all the guys then want to learn guitar.

I know a girl who plays the Mohan Veena, and I have nothing but respect for her because she kicked my ass all over the place in auditions.

7. elfascinating

elfascinating risqué

If it were not for $ex, females would have had absolutely no purpose in the lives of men.

Men are capable of handling everything and are better at all things. (Hence no purpose of females in this world).

Take any field and you'll find men better and more effective .. Architecture, Music, Sports and the list is endless because biologically men are better equipped and are more spatial.

Exceptions are always there though and of course females give birth.

So females are required only for two reasons .. $ex and giving birth.

8. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

Lemme go further....Why do we think that human being can only understand music?? Well..... Dolphins also do!

Why can't they play guitar? Because they do not have hands and the brain to play ( may b they cud play sumthing else :p:)....

Who has it? Human Being..... A boy or a girl??? Doesn't matter really.....BUT.... who cares? :shock:

9. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

food for "thought":
    Dinosors were stronger than men. Why did they vanish?:think:

anshphenomenon likes this.
  10. elfascinating

elfascinating risqué

^I'm sure tag lines like "Bada hai to Behtar hai" - Videocon appeal to you like nothing else.

11. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

Sorry I don't watch television....:cool:

12. eightytwo

eightytwo New Member

elfascinating... I'm rather appalled by your post.

13. anshphenomenon

anshphenomenon Rape me :boff:

totally agree.
    a lot of girls do pick up the guitars, but leave it midway as their fingers start getting hurt.

i have also seen a lot of kick ass female guitarists.
    but only the fact that they are less in number usually compared to the male ones.

its an individual choice.
    i personally have seen many girls interested in rock and blues,but they just dont play guitar.

14. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Hohoho.
    What a lovely thread after so long.

IMO, from what I have observed, females tend to be more "society" driven than males. Probably its the learning since childhood, that makes them this way (existing society passes on its characteristics to next generation thingie), or probably its wired in the brain.

But the thing is that it exists.

In such a case, a guy, even though he might be ridiculed, would still continue with his passion. Not so strong in female case.

As far as guitar playing is concerned. There is no real s3xism as such. But perhaps for the fact that you gotta cut your pretty nails, many females drop the idea of playing guitar. :p:

15. eightytwo

eightytwo New Member

Can you really consider the above statement a ***ist thing? Sounds really silly.
    I agree with alpha1

16. nazr

nazr angel is my genital..

A fine puppet.

17. rahulp

rahulp **Fallen Angel**

Hey I remember I learnt my first four chords.. really important ones.. Em, G, C, D.. from a female guitarist...
    And remember she would crib sometimes that she couldn't keep her nails properly..so Alpha is right there.

18. eightytwo

eightytwo New Member

@nazr What's wrong in agreeing with someone and plus, this whole thread started because of my comments *smug look*

Just to clarify

"Hohoho.
    What a lovely thread after so long.

IMO, from what I have observed, females tend to be more "society" driven than males. Probably its the learning since childhood, that makes them this way (existing society passes on its characteristics to next generation thingie), or probably its wired in the brain.

But the thing is that it exists.

In such a case, a guy, even though he might be ridiculed, would still continue with his passion. Not so strong in female case."

This part I agree with.

"As far as guitar playing is concerned. There is no real s3xism as such. But perhaps for the fact that you gotta cut your pretty nails, many females drop the idea of playing guitar."

This part, I think is silly.

19. rahulp

rahulp **Fallen Angel**

I thought dodos were extinct till I read your post!!

20. amitrichardxess

amitrichardxess New Member

:think: :think: :think:
    i don't think so

hmmmmm in a way agree but not totally, Its all societies fault

:p: :p: this exception is no more an american guy is pregnant i saw it on television