Guitar Tuner

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by akshay_ankur, Nov 3, 2005.

1. akshay_ankur

akshay_ankur New Member

Hi
    I am a fledgling guitarist. I recently bought a guitar tuner ( KORG ). Can anybody help me with the tunning process...ie what will be the frequency for tunning mu Acoustics guitar......

Also any other guitar learning tip anybdy may want to share.......

akshay

2. sambitsatpathy

sambitsatpathy New Member

1. For normal tunings 440 hz is being used as standard now a days which you should also use as a starting guitarist.

2. Then check if you have a alternate switch for BASS and GUITAR on your tuner. If it is there then set it at GUITAR and not BASS. [If by mistake you would put the BASS option and try to tune your guitar your strings might break. So be careful about this one.]

3. Keep the guitar flat on its back on your lap or flat on its back on a table.

4. Place the tuner near the sound hole.

5. You have to go one by one string. For ex, strum string low e. Check if the arrow/lights are in sync with the 440 Hz mark. If not then:
    a. if they point to less than 440 (the note is flat) , tighten the strings.
    b. if they shoot past 440 (the note is sharp) then relax the strings.
    [mark here, you have to strike the string bit relatively harder. Not too soft.]

6. Make sure that they remain at 440 (may be a green light blinks on you r tuner.mine does.).

7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 for all the 6 strings.

Note:- Always remeber, tighten the strings to reach at the exact frequency. Means, while u strum, if the note zooms past 440 then reduce it to a flat one first and then go from that flat note to 440. That way the tuning remains perfect for a longer time. So in short, always tune up.
    [When you tune down i.e. you adjust the tension in the strings from a sharper to normal note, the slack remains there and the strings are more prone to loosen. So you might have to adjust the tuning sooner.]

3. .:VinAY:.

.:VinAY:. New Member

go to the beginers forum akshay...itL help :)

4. akshay_ankur

akshay_ankur New Member

Thanx Sambit

Finally i was ablet o tune it ( I think so .. :)