Guitar Tricks

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons, Tutorials & Tips' started by badullah, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Gretsch

Gretsch New Member

Here's mine. Play these power chords:
    C, G, A, F.

You'll get yourself an instant Blink 182 song. Now, if you really want to be creative, add a shitty lead on top of them and then you have a slightly better Blink 182 song.

Take any Rolling Stones song, add a bit of Led Zepplin and maybe sopme Beatles - then you can call yourself Jet.

Alternatively:

Take one Nirvana riff, add a pinch of John Lennon (in his Yoko Ono days) then call yourself a musician like Craig Nicholls of the Vines does.

2. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

@Gretsch, sum everything you want to say in on thread and please watch what you say on this forum.

3. Gretsch

Gretsch New Member

oh ok sorry Neo

4. apratim.mitra

apratim.mitra You can call me apro

I dont know if this qualifies as a trick but neway thought this was a really cool thing that is extremely useful for beginners ...

well there must be a lot guys out there who find themselves at a loss for not having a cutting edge guitar-effects processor ... like a Zoom or a Korg ...

well here is an amazing piece of software which turns your computer into a state-of-the-art effects processor ... this is called the guitar fx-box ... download the demo version for free from the official website www.guitar-fxbox.com ...

all you have to do is plug your guitar into the line-in port of your comp and hear the distortion coming from ur speakers ... enjoy

5. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

had been meaning to post this one for a long time.......
    if u place a finger on a fret higher than the fret ur playing on a string adajcet to the one ur playing, i usually prefer the lower string...such that ur finger just gently...very gently touches the string ur playin....u tend to get a very resonant sound..which sounds a lot like the sound of a veena....

6. apratim.mitra

apratim.mitra You can call me apro

I think you are talking about harmonics ... really cool sound and quite difficult to get consistently at first ...

:rockon:

7. skaw

skaw snooze

k this is not a guitar trick or anything that big but its kinda kool:

while holding the guitar in a normal position , stretch your left hand out so that the head of the guitar is facing further away from you then usual... and then play normally , it increases my solos speed imensily.. but for this i need to noe the tabs by heart... so its preti interesting for me .. try it out ... :)

8. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

@apratim...nopes not talkin abt harmonics......what happens is whn u pluck the string instead of just giving a normal resonant sound.....the string vibrates against ur finger and u get that veena sound...try it..the sound is much diff from the bell like sound u get with harmonics

9. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

One of the rather odd techniques for any guitarist to learn to add a bit of spice to his/her playing is a rake.

A rake is played on usually 3 or 4 strings.

For example try this rake pattern from the second part of the intro to One.

|----12---19------|
    |---x--------------|
    |--x---------------|
    |-x----------------|
    |------------------|
    |------------------|

I just typed this up really quick so timing is not at all accurate. Listen to the song.

How you play it is you mute the strings where the x's are marked and strike all four strings like a chord. Finger placement on the muted strings is unimportant. You just have to ensure that they don't sound.

The result is a thick percussive sound that is really neat.

10. hey G n F chords r too diiff to play any comments n help?////

11. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

keep practicing....till u get it...G is relatively easy and F is the same as C if u get C just pracitce a bit harder....u will get F....unless u r refereing to the F and G barre chords..

12. hey of u provided more consistent tecniques n help to HOW REALLY CHORDS R PLAYED thnx

13. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

Gmaj
    |---|---|-3-|
    |---|---|---|
    |---|---|---|
    |---|---|---|
    |---|-1-|---|
    |---|---|-2-|

14. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

or this
    |---|---|-3-|
    |---|---|-3-|
    |---|---|---|
    |---|---|---|
    |---|-1-|---|
    |---|---|-2-|

|---|---|-4-|
    |---|---|-3-|
    |---|---|---|
    |---|---|---|
    |---|-1-|---|
    |---|---|-2-|

15. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

F maj
    ||-1-|---|---|
    ||-1-|---|---|
    ||---|-2-|---|
    ||---|---|-3-|
    O||---|---|---|
    X||---|---|---|

or this
    ||-1-|---|---|
    ||-1-|---|---|
    ||-1-|-2-|---|
    ||-1-|---|-3-|
    ||-1-|---|---|
    ||-1-|---|---|

16. Mamasteen

Mamasteen <A-W-A-Y>

bend any sting fully.. and tap on any fret ........
    Eg: Lets bend the B string (full) on the 7th fret (F#) . Without releasing your left hand(that means the string is still bending), tap on B (12th fret) and with equal forces on both the hands, bring down the string to its original position. Now let the tip of your finger(tapping finger) spin on the string(Practically, your finger is not spinning on the string coz the string which is thinner than your finger doesn't have surface big enough to let your finger spin, but you are trying to move your finger tip in a spinning position so that the note is suatained).
    Sounds good on my scalloped guitars but since I haven't tried this on a normal guitar, you're gonna tell me how it sounds.. if you ever give a try.

17. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

nice trick mamasteen ....

18. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

Nice 'un mamasteen:)

19. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Ritchie Blacmore's advice to guitarists. Play sax tunes in guitar. Cool Saurabh, you must be a Blackmore fan.

20. BIG_EVIL

BIG_EVIL Guitaring Machine

nice trick mamasteen