guitar to pc

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by .:SpY_GaMe:., Mar 2, 2006.

1. .:SpY_GaMe:.

.:SpY_GaMe:. New Member

ok i know that there r some threads abt that but thought abt creating a new on to get all teh answers i want :p: :eek:: mods plzzzzzzz dont mind

ok finally am planning to buy an electric

but am a broke after having spent $$$ on a brand new digital camera my budget has considerably been reduced n i think i will wait before i buy an amp n all the distortion pedal n all

so practically u can assume i have
    1.an electric guitar
    2.my pc
    3.wires??

so i read before that its possible to connect the guitar to pc????

ie via the mic port??
    sayan's version

my sec question

so i guess i will also need a convertor for the wires????

is that true for all guitars????:eek::

n can someone tell me abt the size of the convertors n so on???so that i can at least have an idea what to but.....

n when i finally manage to plug in my guitar which softwares can i use to get the distortion effect n so on???:eek::

2. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

Yes you can use the mic port (however, I personally would not recommend it since it can fry your sound card with excessive line levels)
    You need to get a 1/4" to 1/8" jack convertor..all guitar cables will be 1/4" sized and the port is 1/8" (walkman/headphone size).

.:SpY_GaMe:. likes this.
  3. .:SpY_GaMe:.

fry my sound card!!!
    damn i but isnt there anything i can do so taht soundcard is not fried ;)???

ie a substtute for an amp??

4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^^^
    The line-in/line-out signal is so weak that your soundcard has minimal chances of gettting "fried".

Get a stupid pedal for god's sake. And run it clean. Taht will do a good buffering job.

5. sharmistha

sharmistha New Member

bangla

there's one band called BANGLA in Bangladesh that's got really good guitar use in the songs. Does anybody know the chords?

6. .:SpY_GaMe:.

wtf is this do u think this is a request chord thread???:p:

i heard that i can connect the guitar to a hi fi system or sth such ??true??

hmmm so u mean that if i connect guit to pc there is a low risk of "fried " soundcard???

7. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

THere is no FREE softwre fr distirtion
    and the free samples suck

SAVE UP AND BUY A GOOD PEDAL!!!!!!

8. .:SpY_GaMe:.

^^ so i guess will have to postpone that for a few months till i manage to get some more $$$$

thnx everyone for ur advice

:)

9. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

u can try
    guitarFX
    and reVelver

10. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

See when I have plugged in my guitar into the PC I have definitely heard the signal clipping..don't know how good that can be for the sound card...the levels go into the red pretty regularly.
    And GuitarFX is pretty good in my opinion...if you tweak it enough you'll get usable tones.You can plug your guitar into the stereo but it sounds like crap. You can use it as a stopgap until you get a pedal, but again..it'll overdrive the amp in the stereo and you'll go into distortion.

11. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Cliping MUST not occur.
    The sound card is a solid state device, and an SS device unless designed to clip should NEVER be overdriven.

But am confused, coz if the signal is getting clipped @ soundcard then no matter what you do, the clipping will always remain, coz that is being done @ soundcard level.
    Any guitar processing software taht u put comes after trhe soundcard, not before.

Abhijit, does the clipping also hapen with the mic port. Coz I thought the soundcard shouldn't clip the neat guitar or mic signal. And ofcourse it depends on the pickups. Humbuckers that are hot will ofcourse generate higher emf. Overdriveing the SS circuit.

Spy, there is no better alternative than processor. If you buy a pedal, it wont have a cabinet resonator emulator. And the end result will be that it wont sound like it is supposed to.
    Along withe pedal you would haveto buy an amp and a speaker cabinet.

Some pedals like TEch21 sansamp series, AMT etc have inbuilt cabinet emulator, so you can directly plug them in to you PA system or computer.

Usually all teh processors come with built in cabinet emulator, that will enable you to plug in directly to your line-in port of the comp.

12. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

^^^by "Clipping" u mean>.........???

13. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

CLipping means cutting/chopping the waveform.
    That gives the buzzing kind off fizzy sound.

14. .:SpY_GaMe:.

ok went to guitar shops today n i think will take one ampli n dist pedal coz its not that expensive will buy all the stuff in 2 months .....

15. faraz khan

faraz khan Fkay'zzz .......GoNe MaD!

I am having a Acoustic guitar but naturally that wasnt enough for me so through the mic connected with the mic port I used to interact with computer for recording and giving effects, this I did through placing the (thin) mic in my guitar and the input signals were converted into distortion, Enh-wah, etc, the software name is GuitarFX Box 2.6(remember this isnt related to Guitar FX), try this out worked for me, I hope it works for U 2!!!

16. .:SpY_GaMe:.

it was a purely acoustic one ie not semiacoustic???

wooow will surely try that am browsing through some download sites

thnx buddy for the tip n check ur cp ;)

17. faraz khan

faraz khan Fkay'zzz .......GoNe MaD!

thanx .....
    it was typical ACOUSTIC !!

I did this earlier but two months before I got a cool gadget from my bro which made that mic thing look even cooler but remeber its typical mic!!!

18. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

^^^Is that software free??^^^:grin: