Guitar synth questions

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by abhijitnath, Jan 4, 2007.

1. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

For anyone who uses them....am buying a laptop primarily for recording and music oriented purposes. WIll also be plugging in a Yamaha G 50 MIDI convertor for use with Reason Soft Synths. Probably running Sonar 7. What config do I need for the laptop? Some ideas for brands etc and price range would also be helpful.
    Also do I need to buy an external soundcard with MIDI I/Os etc. and if so, which one?

2. nilu_nirvana

nilu_nirvana New Member

for brands, i suggest VAIO/Sony, DELL, Mac

VAIO has exceptional reps for audio-visual capabilities

3. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

Get The Intel Core 2 Duo walla Mac Pro.................Ultimate for audio/video production !!

4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

As far as I remember, Dharmatma had a Mac.
    He had pro-tools also on it.

But that he used primarily for editing and mixing/mastering.
    So I guess, teh onboard soundcard should be good.

5. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

You should really get a good soundcard on it even if you have to sacrifice on some other things cause even with a mediocre config and a really good sound card you'll be able to record and play with awesome sounds. The sound card MUST HAVE ASIO capability otherwise for recording its not that useful. With that you can even use it live for sounds...

I use the Creative Audigy 2 (ZS one i think) its really good...you might try to get that too.

6. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

Thanks all. Am planning to get a seperate external soundcard with ASIO I/O and MIDI I/Os as well. Wanted to get a Dual Core Mac but its just too expensive. So I guess I'll get some Dual Core PC/Windows combo with lots of RAm etc...should suffice:)

7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

GET MAudio Soundcards.
    They are built keeping music/musicians in mind.

Creatives are decent, but they are designed for gaming and home theatre purpose, not music.

8. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

^i dont agree with that completely :)....i got a Live24 bit external card...which has a guitar Line-In and a MIC line in......and the music rocks on it...

9. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

OK.

Dude, does your soundcard have any XLR port?
    Or does it have a socket for 1/4" jack?
    RC jack?

Just a look at websites of Creative and Maudio gives a glimpse into their target audience.
    Ofcourse, I never said Creative sux etc (I have Creative on my PC too), but the fact reamins taht Creative soundcards are not built for musicians.

Rajnikant, take a look at this: https://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.list&ID=pciinterfaces