Guitar swiping??

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by UjSen, Sep 5, 2007.

1. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

yea...........so could some1 like teach me how to start swiping( i hope its the correct term) a few notes, i mean give me a few easy progressions or something???

2. limaj_daas

limaj_daas Guitar Pro Maniac

It's called Sweeping. The technique involves a motion which spans a set of consecutive strings. The sequence is a repetition of (usually) three notes over and over, in other words, you're just arpegiating a chord really fast. there are some popular constructions and then some unconventional ones. It can be done with literally any chord and blah blah. So here's an example of a minor sweep shape (in this case, A min)

e ------------8h12p10---------------------------
    b ---------10---------10-----------------------
    g -------9---------------9-------------------
    d ----10-------------------10------------------
    a -12-------------------------12-------------
    e -----------------------------------------

up, up, up, up, up, down, down, down, down
    and the only notes that are played are a, c and e

u can move that shape around here and there to get different chords and u can even add more octaves to it to make it bigger.

a major would go like:

e ------------9h12p9---------------------------
    b ---------10--------10-----------------------
    g -------9--------------9-------------------
    d ----11------------------11------------------
    a -12------------------------12-------------
    e -----------------------------------------

up, up, up, up, up, down, down, down, down
    and the only notes that are played are a, c# and e

play around with these shapes and get the hang of it. the hardest part (or so i hear) is the coordination of the left and right hand. oh and get the legato on the top right too, that's essential.

u can go and make more shapes using just three notes if u want to and then u can play around with them and sorta create ur own sweeping etude.

btw, if u wanna kno what a scalar progression would sound lik if it were sweeped, check out Jason Becker's Serrana.

good luck.

3. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

Try using the Sweeping technique while playin Arpeggios.....Use the technique that is mentioned above by @limaj_daas

4. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

^^^okay will keep a note of tht.!!

@limaj_Daas--

thnx a ton!!!!

5. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

go on youtube and type sweep picking... there are some great lessons there..

6. limaj_daas

limaj_daas Guitar Pro Maniac

^ man when i looked on utube (ages back) all the "lessons there" were just ppl showing off and nvr explaining nething. i had to sit down and figure it all out by myself.

7. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member