Guitar Skins In India?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by amithkallupalam, Mar 8, 2012.

1. amithkallupalam

amithkallupalam New Member

2. guitarplayer729

guitarplayer729 New Member

i think there should be a way to make those

3. amithkallupalam

i really want to do it! But i have no idea where to get the skin! Ill have to ship it....

4. wylder

wylder Member

I hope you know that it won't look like a genuine quilt top...

A real quilt looks 3D because its under numerous layers of clear coats. A sticker will fade with time and look plain ugly. Also, it will end up looking cheap when it eventually catches sweat and grime. Removing it then will be a PITA. (Also if you really care, it might take a little top end/attack off your guitar's tone)

5. amithkallupalam

^Hmm.... Ah forget about it. But it really would've been cool..

6. wylder

wylder Member

Enjoy the Quilted Sepele on my guitar meanwhile... :evil chuckle:

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      83.4 KB
      Views:
  7. amithkallupalam

^Nice. But dude the guitar skin i told you about is made out of the thing used to make car stickers. So that means it wont wear out.

8. wylder

wylder Member

Print will fade unless it is under at least 1 coat of clear paint. You can notice this on the decals on your bikes too. The ones that are stuck after finishing the paint will fade and get dirty whereas if you get an acrylic/teflon clear coat on it, it will stay as is without fading.

The paint fades because of bleaching action of oxidizing agents in the air. This is accelerated in the sun. The clear coat helps seal the paint so that it doesn't come in contact with the air anymore.

Also, car decals are usually pretty thick. Putting such a thick cap of soft material over the top of your guitar will kill the attack of your guitar. Usually a maple cap is added to a guitar because maple is harder than the underlying mahogany/basswood and hence gives a better attack to the tone. If this wasn't so, it wouldn't cost guitar companies so much to make all guitars quilt top because that would save them the effort of painting them.

If you really want to do it right, u would have to strip the paint off your guitar, then get a quilt maple veneer pasted to the top of the guitar and then stain and clear coat it.

9. guitarplayer729

guitarplayer729 New Member

how do u know about everything
    u r like ben gates in national treasure

10. wylder

wylder Member

^^I guess its a part of growing old :D

11. Adityacustomguitar

Adityacustomguitar New Member

Can contact me for guitar skins and custom skins.. +91-7838279394

12. KixFlirty

KixFlirty Member

Hi Adity, I tried to contact you using your number but it isn't working.