"Guitar" Prasanna

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by alpha1, May 21, 2006.

1. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Almost all his Carnatic sections have 'gamakams' that are not quite semitones above or below.

2. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

3. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Thanks for that, cleared things up. I stand corrected.

4. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

haha, that would be pretty hard to figure out without seeing someone doing it. Have you heard a guitarist called Sumith Ramachandran? He is based in Calcutta, plays twice a week at a local pub where I get to hear him play 70s/80s cover songs aside from playing with a host of other musicians on different projects. I'd first heard him play a style like this live and I didn't believe you could do it on a guitar.

There are so many urban legends about things he's done (and does), I've heard that he came from a village in the south famous for producing folk musicians...and how he could recognize which train was passing by after hearing the whistle (the actual story I read later in this interview here: Sumith and his strings). Apparently, he also endorses (is that the right word?) Godin guitars in India.

I'm not sure where you live but if you get a chance to see any of his bands live, I really recommend you do. Really good musician, very versatile and he has this great sense of melody that I love (and where I think he scores over a lot of other great guitarists I've heard). I think I'd hooked a few other people on here on to him back in the day (shsnawada?)

I couldn't find too many recordings of him but here are a few thrown around from different places:

Sumith Ramachandran & Rila Banerjee, Hourglassed - YouTube

Sumith Ramachandran works his Godin LGXT - YouTube

Sumith Ramachandran with Godin LGXT - YouTube

ooh, this is from the pub where I used to watch him play. You can hear how he changes to a more classic rock style because that's what people come for:

VTS_01_1.VOB - YouTube

3 of those musicians are my heroes. The drummer isn't but is one of the most respected in the city (and maybe the country? I don't know).

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

:RollLol:
    Yes I remember :)
    But I didn't remember talking about it!

Its sliding + bending.

I meant he doesn't use metal/glass slide.

We really need Ronnieanand here - who can give a demo.

6. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

I believe I have 2/3 tracks of his.
    Love his stuff too

7. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

if you still have them, can you upload them and send me a link or something? I lost my music collection from back then on a hard disk.