"Guitar" Prasanna

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by alpha1, May 21, 2006.

1. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Yeah, a thread dedicated to this great guitar player.
    :nw:

G.Prasanna's usual style is Jazz mixed with Carnatic music, and sometimes bringing in the elements of rock and blues music.

Check out his website:
    guitarprasanna.com

2. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

^Oh yeah, i already know of him through some other IGTian probably in the Carnatic forum. He is AMAZING. His compositions will blow you away, if not, congratulations, you're a n00b!

3. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

Stop plagarizing threads :p:

4. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

Oh yea, i love his stuff too.

5. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

yep
    i love the way he uses the trem ( i think )
    liked his stuff

6. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

Saw his new ALBUM. I think its called Welcome to Electric Ganesha Land (Dedicated to Hendrix i think......not sure). Have'nt bought it though.

7. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

Any way i can hear some samples?

8. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

I have his new album Electric Ganesha Land bought straight from him :) . It's pretty raw and didn't like it much though...A lot of places he sounds pretty arbit. I have heard a bit of his older works and he seems to be ripping all of his old work plus played through his newer sound. This newer sound is pretty raw and nice in a way. Almost a perfect Blues Tone..

9. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

I don't think he uses the trem much (mostly uses a Les Paul). Those microtonal bends are just bends I think, not whammy bar stuff.
    You can check out a lot of samples on his website.
    @Ronnie..I didn't like the EGL samples on his website much either...sounds very disjointed somehow..the Carnatic/Hendrix vibe doesn't gel well.
    I think 'Be the Change' is much cooler...Victor Wooten rips some amazing stuff on it.

10. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

In the album Sleeve it's written that he has not used any whammy bar in any of the songs. But he uses a Digitech Whammy in the album. Those microtonal trills are typical of his style..

11. bt_phani

bt_phani New Member

hey, ive come till varnams and am to start krithid on the electric guitar, any advice???

12. Guitar boy

Guitar boy New Member

they are on his site..

Prasanna is amazing. What a master he is, he plays in other tunings other than the standard EADGBE one. That makes me think what amount of practice requires to be a great guitarist.

Ya sure... go to carnatic forum
    https://indianguitartabs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30

13. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Bump.
    since I listened to him after a loong loooong gap.

Amazing stuff

14. wylder

wylder Member

Heard him at the Victor Wooten concert in Bangalore about 2 yrs ago.

His original stuff sounded cool but his improvisation wasn't nearly as great. He was trying to steal the show but Victor was simply amazing... Awesome concert though.

15. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

It was a Victor Wooten concert, I dunno why he was trying to make it look like it was Prasanna ft. Wooten. Worth every Rupee though, that concert.

I only have his Be The Change and Peaceful albums. I really like his style, especially how he plays Carnatic without a slide (or if he does use one, I'm stupid).

16. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

He doesn't use slide ... its the bending technique.

I have seen similar stuff being played by our very own Ronnieanand (though he doesn't visit here any longer).
    His improv do sound arbit ... but the "carnatic style" sounds super

Damn those melodies are haunting my mind every moment - can't get 'em out

17. thehundredthone

You're telling me every "gamakam" is a bend? It's not possible to do that on consecutive notes while playing fast.

18. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

No, I'm pretty sure they're slides done without using a slide. Also, if I remember correctly, alpha, you saw him live at IIT Chennai and he thanked the professors there for failing him?

19. thehundredthone

So how does one achieve microtone slides on a fretted instrument without a slide?

20. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I don't think one can. And in context of Prasanna, I'm not sure he does either.