guitar on plane

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by zamanakhan, Dec 8, 2009.

1. zamanakhan

zamanakhan New Member

hey guys new member here and i was wondering if anyone has tried to take a guitar as a carry on on pia or something similar. I googled if ppl take their guitars with them when they travel and alot of them take it in as a carry on. iam going to visit pakistan next summer and i might be there for a lil while, dont wanna be without one of my guitars. From what i have read the quality of the guitars available there isnt up to par. I am wondering if anyone has been succesful in taking their guitar onboard. I just cannot trust aiport ppl with my guitars and definately wont let them throw it around like luggage. I have heard some bad horror stories of trashed martins and guilds even after they were in fibre glass cases.

2. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

i guess u can carry a guitar with you..some time back i had called British Airways for this info .. they had said that u can carry the guitar but it shud be in a soft case.. and not in a hard shell case..they said coz of security reasons.. jus call up the airline.. as things might differ form airline to airline..

3. zamanakhan

zamanakhan New Member

do u know if it matters if its its electric or acoustic, i wanna take one of each actually iam thinkin i might let my sister carry on a strat and see if i can take a jumbo

4. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

ya u can carry either of them..u can carry one guitar each.. but i'd suggest you to call the airline once before you leave.. where r u travelling from btw?

5. zamanakhan

zamanakhan New Member

goin from toronto to karachi, i've been to the airport a couple of times in the past year and i have seen people taking a crap load of stuff to carry on with them and i have also seen a family booking an epi in the original factory case, which personally was a horrbile idea they arent packaged that well from the factory and sending it in a cardboard box is just plain stupid. Even a specical 2 deserves more than that, i think sometimes ppl dont put them in the right case cause the cases cost 1/2 the price of some of the epi's

6. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

ya cases r a little expensive.. i was plannin to get a Kh-202 from US through one of my friend.. but later i dropped the idea..as my friend also had to carry one laptop and a carry bag.. and checkin in my guitar was the last thing i wanted..even if its in a hard case..some times if u try to convince the airport staff they let u carry it with no problem at all.. but thats rare..

7. zamanakhan

zamanakhan New Member

hmm i wonder if the ones here would take bribes like in pakistan lol. i doubt it but i would gladly pay 100-200 to make sure the guitar would be with me and not in some compartment elsewhere on the plane. Iam thinkin about possibly just buying a mid level martin or taylor and booking that and hoping for the best, much better than risking a custom shop.