Guitar Nut

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by vkaskamble, Apr 16, 2012.

1. vkaskamble

vkaskamble New Member

Hello Everyone,

My name is Vikas i have an Grason acoustic guitar its a 4 year old guitar. Recently the guitar action got high and i was unable to play guitar. So i took the guitar to Albertos to lower the action. I don't know if he filed the guitar nut more or what he did now the guitar is producing jarred sound in the lower 3 strings and the guitar is sounding very bad. Let me know if there is any place in mumbai from where i can buy a new nut for the guitar and if i can fit the nut myself or is there any guitar repairing shop. Please suggest.. Thanks in advance

I don't want to keep this guitar down. I can buy a new one but don't want to loose this one.

2. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

Sunil Shinde - 9594665505

Take ur guitar to him...One of the best luthiers in Mumbai...His shop is based as Kandivali charkop

3. vkaskamble

vkaskamble New Member

Thanks. Will definetly go there.

4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

I believe its not because of any filing done to the guitar nut (in fact why would a person file the nut?).
    Truss rod adjustments may lead to buzz at certain frets (while lowering the action).

If you require the action to be kept low, then filing of the particular frets would be required to remove the buzz.

The action at the nut/1st few frets is anyway pretty low, and the action that we are normally concerned with happens between 9th and 15th fret (or extend it both ways, if you want it further lower) - so the nut hardly plays any role in this.

5. vkaskamble

vkaskamble New Member

I am not very sure what he did to lower the action. but the visible change i saw in the guitar was on the nut. the string went deep in to the nut. other than that i didn't see anything. the last 3 frets are generating the buzz. and i can see that for first 2 -3 frets the last string is almost connected to the fretboard surface.

6. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Filing the bridge is usually how they lower the action.