Guitar neck problem !!

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by xan, Apr 21, 2009.

1. xan

xan New Member

hey frends, i hav a guitar....company - Gibtone
    i used heavy guazed strings(d'addario) and it bent...and neck is now a concave shape.
    The problem is the distance between neck and strings at above the 7th fret has increased to about 1/2 inch.how much shud be that distance ideally??
    So it is difficult to hold barre chords and difficult fretting above 7 fret too....is there any solution to this problem???help me regarding this...thanx in advance

is there anything like replacing guitar neck?? it doesnt have any truss rod

2. subhadipm

subhadipm New Member

You have to replace the neck. And next time buy one with a rod

3. distorted

distorted satan

Who suggested u using heavy gauge strings on a cheap make? Newys, keep yr guitar on the floor wid hole facing the earth, n a little weight ovr the joint... It myt get better... Odrws take it to a luthier... N never use heavy gauge on this guitar, or rather use 9gauge tuned half step down.
    N if u cud hv invested the money on guitar rather den the strings, u wud hv been a happier man.

4. Harsh Kumar

Harsh Kumar The Official IGT Jester

Duude!!
    Why???
    Why did you do such a thing!
    Heavy gauge !! Take care man!!

Distorted's advice is good!!

5. subhadipm

subhadipm New Member

Gibtone is a Local Brand from Kolkata. To my knowledge their shop is shut for some time now. I think you must have purchased it fron Ripon Street. Its near to my office and i have not seen it open for few days. If it opens go to them and slam the axe on thier head. Just kidding, since they have made it they can replace the neck.

I have seen this being done, my friends guitar neck was cracked during a school fight (10 Years ago) and was replaced.

6. xan

xan New Member

subhadipm, harsh and Distorted for help...

@distorted...already i hav placed weights on guitar in same way as you said....but i dont knw how long it will take for process to get finished...now its about 4 days completed...if u hav idea how long it willl take then plz tell me....thanx for ur valuable help

7. unet

unet New Member

There is no truss rod so your neck is screwed.
    Bending it back is not the solution.

Replace the neck with one WITH a truss rod.
    They're important.

A friend of a friend apparently had a homemade bass with no truss rod.
    It snapped and nearly took his thumb off. Be careful.

8. distorted

distorted satan

^better option.

9. subhadipm

subhadipm New Member

A thumbless guitarist is no good, better to have a thumb and a neck replaced... ;)

10. xan

xan New Member

ok thanx for ur help friends....two more questions...
    1. how much will this neck replacment(with rod) will cost around????
    2.how much should be the distance between fret and strings at about 10th,12th fret?????? .....

11. xan

xan New Member

anyone plz tell me the cost

12. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar New Member

Somewhere around 3000/- bucks. But it depends upon what quality wood u need. Prices tend to vary a lot.

13. subhadipm

subhadipm New Member

For 3000 bucks u will get another Gibtone..... Rather i am guessing Gibtone starts from 800 RS

14. rickkky_rich

rickkky_rich Banned

3000 bucks..???.. u can get another decent guitar for that amount.. i wud suggest u buy another guitar and hang this one in ur bedroom wall.. ;)

15. unet

unet New Member

There is no "decent" guitar for freaking 3000.

I suggest you save up and invest in a REAL decent guitar.

Or change the neck.

16. xan

xan New Member

ok thanx alot friends....i l b buying a new one

17. rickkky_rich

rickkky_rich Banned

good decision !!!