Guitar Modifications

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by justneedaguitar, Jan 13, 2009.

1. thepacifist2013

thepacifist2013 V.I.P Member

So that means you're planning to rewind your pickups. Excellent man....let me know when and where you get it done.
    And thanks buddy. No offence meant but I do know what a killswitch is. I just overlooked the fact of the guitar having just one volume knob.
    Yes I'm selling my duncans. They are a set of SH-2n jazz (neck) and SH-4JB (bridge) pickup.

2. livfstdieyoung

livfstdieyoung New Member

@unet
    oh i meant about the type of switch spst spdt etc ?and where are you getting those from ..i cant seem to find any source for dpdt switches inside india ...and other components i needed for a diy pedal..

@the pacifist2013
    none taken mate ...i just told it cause i ve seen a lot of ppl who think a killswitch just takes the pickups out of circuit ...i did not have any idea about your knowledge ..
    and yes i want to re wound any pickups i can lay my hands on ...and maybe ill try potting them to with wax...but i dont know the givson pickup's bobbins will endure that much heat or not ...
    btw cant the moderator start a diy thread and make it sticky ?

3. unet

unet New Member

Probably spdt.
    You get dpdt and even 3pdt but they're absolutely crap quality and are generally toggle switches, so not very useful for pedals.

I have a couple of pedal build ideas too but dont have the parts to go thru.
    (enclosure, drill, good pots)

4. livfstdieyoung

allright...so you ll use a toggle spdt ?
    oh do you mean dpdt push type switches r available ?
    btw my friend is sending me a guitar diy book tat shows you how to use a circuit with a SPST switch in place of a DPDT switch its written by craig anderton has a lot of projects in it ...so must be good

have you made any pedals yet ?
    am only concerned with electronic parts ...cause i know how to shield an enclosure so that souldnt be a problem and i can use any type of enclosure than ...
    but defi good pots will b hard to find

you know wat if you can find even 5 ppl who r makin a project right now we can order the parts from any online surplus supplier...atleast pots elcosures switches etc ...you think i should start a diy thread ..?

5. thepacifist2013

I've tried mate.
    3PDT switches, forget about them! So unless you;re doing a millenium bypass kinda thing (which needs changes to be incorporated into the circuit itself), true-bypass with LED cannot be done.

Im not even sure whether DPDT switches are available.
    Pots I enquired, and all I found was Re 2 shitty pots.

Btw, how do you shield enclosures?

6. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

start a thread for diy!! i want to make a boogie dual rectifier for this summer vacation

7. unet

unet New Member

:)

Dude...it's REALLY not that easy.

If you don't have basic knowledge regarding tubes, voltages, capacitances, other electronics stuff; you could fail miserably.
    Or even worse, get really hurt.

Try something small first like a simple 1 watt tube amp.
    And tell me if you do because i want to try one as well.
    We could meet up or something.

thepacifist2013 likes this.
  8. thepacifist2013

+1
    You need more than basic knowledge. B+ voltages on tube-amps run in excess of 250V which can be fatal. I've heard of custom single-ended designs with 1200V on rails......instant gratification! Then you have capacitors which are charged up to few-hundred volts. If you don't drain them properly, bad news!
    Don't even attempt anything upwards of 5W unless you have a pretty strong idea of what you're doing. To get your hands wet, try designing a 1W Firefly. Google on the net for schematics, notes etc.

9. livfstdieyoung

@thepacifist2013
    great so did you succeed?
    i havnt found a way to use an spdt switch system to replace a DPDT ...
    btw i may have found a place to get not so good switches in india ...still checking tho
    hehe i know they r really crap @ pots
    am starting a diy thread so atleast i can know whoever made their projects where did they get their components from ..etc

for decent shielding of a sbad enclosure you can line the inner surface with aluminium foil ...i read it some where i guess ...

10. livfstdieyoung

@mad_spartan
    if your new to it then i would suggest you try a solidstate amp before starting a tube amp project ...
    if you r completely new then try making a pre amp ...or a tone booster

11. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

well my dad has experience in building amps and speakers. he has made some really nice amps and speakers at home on his own in his college days. so he will guide me through.
    the last amp and speakers that he made are in use daily and they are more than i think 15 years old. not a single repair done on the amp. just changed the fuse a few times and clean the contacts. and the speakers needed re-coning once. still working solid.
    but he built SS amps. he does not have practical knowledge in building valve amps. but he knows their working and construction and all.
    and yeah before building the dual rectifier, i am thinking of building some tube preamp pedals. so i may gain experience in them and build the main thing in diwali.

what do you guys think?

12. unet

unet New Member

Bump.
    Just an update (albeit a very late one...):

1. I got my guitarfetish Alnico 2 neck pickup installed and yes, it's MUCH better than the stock Ibanez. It's cleans are HEAVENLY and it does low gain distortion/od very well. High gain with the tone down.Also, it's GREAT for drop tunings. I tried it in Drop A with the JCM model on my amp and it sounds delicious.

2. I switched out the pots in the guitar (some cheap stock Chinese ones that crackled)
    with Alpha pots and now i have a fully functioning tone knob and a non-crackly, non-linear volume knob.

3. I installed the 0.047UF Sprague Orange drop capacitor and it too does not disappoint. With the tone knob at minimum, i get a really cool stoner rock tone. I have 2 X 0.022UF's and one 0.047UF left if anyone is interested (and if i am at the time).

4. New, well chiseled bone nut was installed and as advertised, sustain and tuning stability have improved. I'm using 10 gauge D'Addario's.

Hopefully in a week or two, my Seymour Duncan Tb-5 shall arrive and i'll have a nice new (and hopefully less muddy) bridge pickup to play with.
    And also, i should have my one-spot power supply power adaptor set in a day or two.
    With a Danelectro EQ pedal (arriving with the Trembucker), a Delay pedal (Beta Aivin-apparently they're good) in April and a mild OD/fuzz sometime later this year, my life will be complete.
    :D

13. distorted

distorted satan

^Whhhhooooffff.... Congrats!!

14. Harsh Kumar

Harsh Kumar The Official IGT Jester

Silly question,

If the emg use a battery, than a switch to the battery can act as a kill switch right??
    If we are using than particular pickup!?!?!?

15. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Please read up about active pickups.

16. Harsh Kumar

Harsh Kumar The Official IGT Jester

that post makes me feel althemore stupid!

But if i wanted to read than y woud i ask ppl like you who have already read!

But i will read after my exams!!

If you can answer now than that'll be great!

17. livfstdieyoung

congratulations unet :D .. hey anyone here from banglore?